Towing (for the 1000th time I am sure)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoofyPilot

Reaction score
Ok....so I am looking for some idea (as I am not a big mechanical mind in reference to auto engines/transmissions, etc. Now, you have 2 Tahoes...both identical exception being the K5L heavy duty towing package. So, to verify, the only difference here is 3.08 vs. 3.42 with factory external transmission and oil cooling, yes. That being said, any issues relating to towing near to max weight on the 3.08 nothing special Tahoe are not safety related (at least as far as braking, stability, the chassis, etc). Towing problems/ issues should only be related to wear and tear and performance (which I see could have some safety implications if merging, etc), right? I start with all of this because I want to try to focus on the performance and engine/transmission considerations of the equation. I am not looking for someone to say, "Hey, it's just fine." in order to satisfy me. Rather, I would like a frank discussion or explantion of what I would experience and expect performance wise if trying to tow long distance a right up to max towing and GCWR. Would hills be at 45 MPH? Will the truck throw itself apart? I would love to be on the other side with the 3.42 and stuff, but the reality is I will be in the 3.08 with an aftermarket tranny cooler. So, there it is...have fun reading me the act (but preferably edumacating me).

jmeyers278

Reaction score
You won't have any issues....You will get close to gallons per mile instead of miles per gallon but the hoe will tow like a champ. The gcwr are designed to be safe. They have to put a gcwr on these vehicles with the understanding that a totally uneducated (when it comes to pulling a trailer) will look at that number and strap on a uhaul car hauler and his buddies suburban to help him move because "It says I can tow that much". I towed a 8900# load with mine the other day over 240 miles and it handled like a champ. I do have a trailer brake control so that helps but if you don't just allow yourself more room to stop. The truck had enough power to pull the hills only bleeding form 75 down to 60 or so on the long ones. You shouldn't have any trouble out of your girl as long as she is properly maintained.