TPMS???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotto2323

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the part number for the tire pressure sensors?

Is there anyway to disable the warning if I remove the sensors and put new wheels on?

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to have sensors or you will always have a warning saying "Service Tire Pressure Monitoring System" and a yellow light on your dash. You cannot disable it.

Just get the new sensors ($40/each). Any wheel place can get them. If they cant, go somewhere else. All new cars/trucks are required by law to have TPMS, so if you're dealing with a shop that isn't up to speed with that, do yourself a favor and find someone who is.

You dont need to know the part number. They use aftermarket replacements based on the year/model of the truck. OEM ones are double the price. You can take your stock ones out but they'll probably charge you to dismount your stock tires, so it's not even worth it.

orionkhan

Reaction score
You dont need to know the part number. They use aftermarket replacements based on the year/model of the truck. OEM ones are double the price. You can take your stock ones out but they'll probably charge you to dismount your stock tires, so it's not even worth it.

When I got new wheels/tires. The shop tried to swap the old sensors to the new wheels and ended up breaking a sensor. So they ended up replacing all four on their dime.

Also the shop should have the tool to activate the sensors to make sure that their being read properly. Make sure of that before you leave the shop after install.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good information, Bad63lac. Speaking of... Wanna sell that 63 Caddy? I know, I know, I'm just desperately dreaming of starting a vast 60's car collection- always loved 'em.

Scotto- I've always admired everything that I've seen you do or say, you really got it together. But this time you've gone too far! J/K. I can't imagine eliminating the TPMS, are your wheels just not compatible with anything, even aftermarket? Forget about the law, I really couldn't care less. I just dig that feature, I must check it 3 times a day. Always bragging about how it's so much more comprehensive than the one in my wife's 530i. I don't think many of them tell you how much is in each tire, you gotta try to keep it if you can.

scotto2323

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I try my best Black Dog. I love the feature. I was really just wondering what the part number was and the price. Want to see if it is worth swapping out old ones to new wheels, but If they are only going to cost like $200 hundred thats fine wtih me.

Just clarifing that you are unable to disable feature, if I were to find pre mounted tires at the Englishtown swap met today.

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also the shop should have the tool to activate the sensors to make sure that their being read properly. Make sure of that before you leave the shop after install.

There is no tool. The instructions are in the manual. All cars are like that. It's a pretty simple proceedure. I did it on my wifes CTS since I ordered the wheels from Tirerack. On my Suburban I also did it myself since I was in a rush and wanted to get out of the wheel place.

Its something to the effect of:

-put parking brake on, step on brake pedal, turn key to "ON"(dont start) and hold the lock button on remote
-truck will honk horn twice at you
-get out and let air out of your front drivers side tire
-truck will beep once at you after a few secs
-run to front pass side... let air out..... <honk>
-rear pass side... let air out... <honk>
-rear drivers side... let air out... <honk, honk>
-done

Your neighbors or people at the gas station will likely look at you funny when you do this (if you do it yourself) ;)

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good information, Bad63lac. Speaking of... Wanna sell that 63 Caddy? I know, I know, I'm just desperately dreaming of starting a vast 60's car collection- always loved 'em.

Nope! :cool2:

Attachments

• 631.jpg
    631.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 6

scotto2323

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats all nice and easy bad63lac, because I have done that before. How does the computer aquire the new sensors? The same way? All these tire sensors have to be coded some how so you don't get someone else's readings? I don't know, maybe I should look in my "Owners Manual" again.

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no tool. The instructions are in the manual. All cars are like that.
That should probably be qualified to mean that "all GM cars are like that" because I know that the imports we have (like Infiniti and Honda) require that you get the dealership (and pay $) to recode the TPMS. It's one the things I really like about my Yukon.

How does the computer aquire the new sensors? The same way? All these tire sensors have to be coded some how so you don't get someone else's readings? I don't know, maybe I should look in my "Owners Manual" again.
I know on the DIC there's an option that says "Relearn Tire Pressure Sensors." It's like the other settings like programming a new key or switching from English to Metric.

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what the proceedure I described does...

The sensors transmit the pressure reading along with a unique code (think of it as a serial number) via RF.

The proceedure above will allow the computer in the truck to "learn" each new sensor's code and location. You have to do the wheels in the certain order.

When you get new sensors it's confused and doesnt know which one is which (it will know the pressures but not the locations). When you enter into the programming mode I described above and start to let air out of each tire (in the specified order) it will "learn" the code of the sensor and its location, then honk at you to tell you to move to the next one.

ucsbguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tire shops or dealers have a little handheld scanner tool that will relearn in about 2 seconds per tire.

I took my old senors out of my old tires when i changed my setup around. Had the tire shop throw them on my new rims, had them mounted and balanced and put on, and then 10 seconds with the scanner and i was all set.

GM dealers ahve the tool too--if you're friendly with your service guys, they will take care of it real quick for you.

orionkhan

Reaction score
Tire shops or dealers have a little handheld scanner tool that will relearn in about 2 seconds per tire.

I took my old senors out of my old tires when i changed my setup around. Had the tire shop throw them on my new rims, had them mounted and balanced and put on, and then 10 seconds with the scanner and i was all set.

GM dealers ahve the tool too--if you're friendly with your service guys, they will take care of it real quick for you.

That's the "tool" that I was refering too. Bad choice of words, I guess. Sometimes the learn procedure in the manual will not work with new sensors. Could just be with certain aftermarket ones, I don't know. But that scanner will get them to work.

Last edited:

scotto2323

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so when installing a new sensor your in the program mode, releasing or adding pressure makes the sensor transmit. So then the truck knows the new sensor.

Got it.

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost... :)

The sensor's are always transmitting. That's how the system can actively detect a change.

When you have new sensors, they're all transmitting constantly but the computer says, "wait, I dont know which one of you is which".

So you start the programming sequence. Since you have to do each wheel in a certain order it can then figure out which one is which by determining which one just changed.

Example...

sensor 3498 - 45psi
sensor 3090 - 45psi
sensor 2108 - 45psi
sensor 8994 - 45psi

You start the sequence. You have to do left front first. You let some air out and the computer then realizes that sensor 2108 just changed to 40psi. It now knows that sensor corresponds to front/left.

Then you go do the front/right, let some air out, computer notices that sensor 3498 just changed to 41 psi. It now knows the location of that sensor.

Etc, etc...

Hope that helps. (sensor #'s I used are just for example. I'm sure the unique code is some huge long serial number)

orionkhan

Reaction score
To add to that...You have to go through the learn sequence after each time that you rotate the tires as well. The computer identifies a specific sensor with a specific position. If you change the position, then you have to make the computer relearn the position for each sensor.

Otherwise, the computer will think the sensors are in the original position (pre-rotation) and give the wrong reading for that tire.

wesalexleft

Reaction score
TPMS light still on after relearn, how to turn off

I had a TPMS sensor quit transmitting. Ordered an online replacement and paid the local shop kid to break down the tire and replace. Brought the truck (2007 Yukon Denali) back home and did the relearn procedure. All went well, got the honks, and I'm getting the pressures on all four tires. The problem is that the dash warning light is still on. Tire (!). How do you get this to go out, or does it take a certain number of cycles?