TPMS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the newer style rubber sensors for the TPMS system will work on a 2005 Tahoe?
Can't seem to get them to work.

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TPSM Reset procedure

As long as the service message is not due to a faulty part, you can try the following re-learn procedure for the tire monitoring system and see if it helps any.

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Apply the parking brake.
3. Turn the exterior lamp switch from OFF to parking lamps 4 times within 4 seconds. A horn chirp will sound and the low tire pressure indicator will begin to flash indicating the learn mode has been enabled. Important: If a horn chirp does not sound after 35 seconds for any of the 4 sensors, turn the ignition OFF to exit the learn mode and repeat steps 1-3.
4. Starting with the left front tire, increase or decrease the pressure for 8-10 seconds, or until a horn chirp sounds. The horn chirp may occur before the 8-10 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached, or up to 30 seconds after the 8-10 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached.
5. After the horn chirp has sounded, repeat step 4 for the next 3 sensors in the following order:
5.1. Right front
5.2. Right rear
5.3. Left rear

6. After all sensors have been learned, exit the learn mode by turning OFF the ignition.
7. After the learn mode has been exited, adjust all tire pressures to the recommended psi.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did that exactly till I can repeat it from memory.
My question is still
Does anyone know if the newer style rubber sensors for the TPMS system will work on a 2005 Tahoe?
Can't seem to get them to work.

Worked first time before with older sensors. Hate to go replace all the new ones with the old ones, just because I don't know some simple little step??

Last edited:

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well then the answer must be "no".
If you tried everything short of asking the dealer, then I think you answered your own question. Hope ya get it straightened out.
PS......I just looked in my estimating program and TPSM are not listed.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks John,
That's what I will do today.

PS Just thought about maybe the LF sensor is bad. Maybe I'll try again starting with any other wheel first!

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried the dealer re-learn tool today. Would not work.
After trying it three times, they tell me that the sensors are differant!

markiv396

Reaction score
Same problem

I put a set of 2008 Tahoe wheels on my 2005 Tahoe and the TPMS will not reset properly. I have not taken in yet but now I need to find out if I can pull my old sensors out and install them in the 2008 wheels. How did you make out?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to put the older sensors in the new wheels.
They must be different frequency, newer one's would not work.
Did not have to re balance, because you can just break the bead on the outside and get the new one out, then put the old one in.

equinn2823

Reaction score
i cant get the horn to chirp

I am trying desperately to reset the system but to no avail. I can not get the horn to chirp. I think it has to be because when i bought the truck 2008 police edition, the horn did not work. We tried like hell to figure out why but couldnt so i had someone just wire a relay in from the fuse box/switch to the horn and my horn works fine now. I tried the light switch method and i can not no matter what i do get the horn to chirp. i tried letting air out of each tire anyway for 8 to 10 seconds in the correct order but no horn chirps and still says service tire monitor system on my dash. any ideas? fyi going to a dealer is not an option as I live in the Dominican Republic.

TPSM Reset procedure

As long as the service message is not due to a faulty part, you can try the following re-learn procedure for the tire monitoring system and see if it helps any.

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Apply the parking brake.
3. Turn the exterior lamp switch from OFF to parking lamps 4 times within 4 seconds. A horn chirp will sound and the low tire pressure indicator will begin to flash indicating the learn mode has been enabled. Important: If a horn chirp does not sound after 35 seconds for any of the 4 sensors, turn the ignition OFF to exit the learn mode and repeat steps 1-3.
4. Starting with the left front tire, increase or decrease the pressure for 8-10 seconds, or until a horn chirp sounds. The horn chirp may occur before the 8-10 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached, or up to 30 seconds after the 8-10 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached.
5. After the horn chirp has sounded, repeat step 4 for the next 3 sensors in the following order:
5.1. Right front
5.2. Right rear
5.3. Left rear

6. After all sensors have been learned, exit the learn mode by turning OFF the ignition.
7. After the learn mode has been exited, adjust all tire pressures to the recommended psi.