Transmission Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigtexfarmer

Reaction score
Had the transmission go out on my 2011 Tahoe with only 14,000 mile while out of town visiting family. Besides being a huge inconvienience it lead to the absolute worst dealership experience of my life (but that's another story) just curious since I have only had the Tahoe a year is this a common problem anyone else has had, or am I just the lucky one?

cajunbumblebee

Reaction score
we bought a 2011 tahoe last October for my husband. days after purchasing it, the vehicle wouldn't go in reverse. he pushed it out of a parking spot, drove it about a block down the road, and it wouldn't go forward either. upon inspection they determined a solenoid went out. since then the acceleration has been hesitant and there is a squealing coming from somewhere in the vehicle. the dealership has had it for 6 days and they can't figure out why or where the noise is coming from.

you are not alone in your issues with your tahoe. we had a 2007 that we traded in for the 2011. wish we would have held on the the old one now. big mistake.

clkelley

Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood to both of you!

While I have not heard of a lot of issues with the transmissions, I do know that it sounds as if the dealerships are not filling the trannies to the proper fluid levels before delivering them to the customers/you. This unfortunately is a common issue, dealerships often scrimp on the dealer prep and do not double check the fluid levels before selling the vehicles. This sounds like the most likely source for your issues, especially if the solenoids went out that soon. The squealing is most likely from something that has ben hurt inside the transmission as a result. This is also the most likely reason for the sluggish acceleration, etc as the torque converter may not be operating properly as a result of being run on low fluid for however many miles.

That being said, this is all contingent upon both of you running stock rims and tires. I have heard of folks running large 22+ inch rims and tires having issues with transmissions and engines which could be avoided by upgrading the speed sensors.

Hope this helps.

cajunbumblebee

Reaction score
thanks for the info clkelley. i will definitely bring that up to the dealership today. as far as the tires and rims, it's all factory for us so that shouldn't be an issue. it's so frustrating to spend 40k on a new vehicle and have it break down days after ownership. we never had a lick of trouble with the old one.

clkelley

Reaction score
I would have someone check the fluid level before you go to the dealership, don't just take their word for it, if they did not do the prep properly, they will never admit to it. That would at least let you know if it is right at the moment.

boomguy

Reaction score
99 Tahoe trans question

I have a early 99 Tahoe, sun shell broke you know that sound of death.... I was given an 02 yukon with a 5.3 in it... I was wondering if the trans could be put in the 99 and if it had the same transfer case... I have been told that the bellhousing is removable but I dont have much experience with the 4l60e ( old th350,400 and 700 guy here)... any help would be appreciated...