Transmission longevity threw adjust and maint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hooah

Reaction score
Say I do find the right Tahoe, and I have to rebuild the transmission right off the bat, which is real likely, how do I make it last 200k or more? What oil, filters, hoses have been time tested and work the best? What parts should be used instead of others, as in upgrades? Is it better to rebuild the existing trans or is there a better one out there on the market with a solid warranty? Money is tight and I only want to do this once and it has to be dependable. Thanks

erickshoe

Reaction score
I have pretty much the same questions, I am curious about upgrades to prolong logevity. If anyone finds anything out I would appreciate it. Thanks

Ojustracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With these tranny's it all about how you drive. These thing do wear out. But the harder you drive it the less life you will get. Perfect example. My dads 00 silverado. No tranny issues he drives like the normal 60yr old man he is. One day it was raining and someone was driving alittle faster and he had to get on the gas more than normal and spun the tire trying to get out of the way. Well when it did that it stripped the sun shell (common failure point) this was at 110,000 miles. Had the tranny rebuilt, I just drove its on Fri it has 297,000 miles. It has had no other tranny work except tranny filters and fluid.

I guess its all up to the rebuilder, They should know how to make one of these things last by now. My advise to you maybe the corvette 1/2 servo and fluid and filter changes at 30k.

John

erickshoe

Reaction score
What does the corvette 1/2 servo do for you? How do I get one and what servo do i use from a corvette and what is involved in installing it? My tahoe seems to forget what its doing when it tries to shift from 1st to 2nd, its seems like it tries but it hesitates to actually shift to 2nd, I have a Z71 but Im not sure if that would make a difference with the shifting, this usually happens at moderate throttle position but is intermittent.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m no expert but here’s what I’ve learned hanging out here, on another forum, and from personal experience. The 4l60E tranny that most of these rides have is prone to early failure. They adjust them for nice smooth soft shifts to please the soccer moms but that increases the wear on the transmission. Making the shifts a little faster and firmer will increase tranny life. An auxiliary cooler, or larger auxiliary cooler if it came with one, is also a good thing to have. I bought my 2000 ‘Ho in December of 2007 with mileage in the mid 90k’s. About four months later, the needle bearing in the sun gear went out and I had to have it rebuilt. The torque converter looked fine so my mechanic recommended not replacing it. He said if it did go out soon he’d make good on it since it was his recommendation to keep it. It’s still going strong, no problems and I’m over 100K miles. While he was rebuilding it I had a Superior shift kit installed. The shift kit makes the shifts firmer and quicker to help reduce wear. Lot’s of people like the Transgo shift kit but it’s a more aggressive shift. Since my goal was improved wear not high performance I went with the Superior. If I was looking to turn it into a race truck I’d have used the Transgo. I think any shift kit can be adjusted to be more aggressive or milder, depending on what you want. I also had him put the 1-2 ‘Vette servo in. From the look of some threads I’ve read anyone who is a little handy can do it themselves but I had my mechanic do it while he was working on it. There are lots of threads in here dealing with the ‘Vette servo, do a search and I’m sure you’ll find enough to keep you busy all afternoon. The ‘Vette servo has a larger surface area than the stock servo, this means more apply pressure and therefore a firmer 1-2 shift. You can get the servo online or at a transmission repair shop. With the gaskets it’s under 20 bucks, one of the best bang for your buck mods you can find. I’ve also been told there is another servo that can be replaced and if you do both you can do without the shift kit. My ‘Ho came with a factory auxiliary cooler but it was tiny so I replaced it with a larger one. If you can afford it you can run Royal Purple transmission fluid. With the rebuild I had to replace all the fluid and that was more than I could afford at the time with RP so I used OEM. If a person was going to do a pan drop and filter change that would be a good time to sweeten the stock fluid up with the RP. A custom tune can also adjust line pressure and shift points to once again make it as harsh or soft as you want. Anyway, that may be more than you were looking for but that’s my two cents worth FWIW.

Zseventy1

Reaction score
Well my wifes 2005 Z71 Tahoe was driven softly with two kids for only 30,000 miles and poof it lost OD, Drive and 3rd gear. $2800 to repair. SUCKS!!

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I will look into it, right now money is very tight/non-existant but I will start doing some research, thanks a lot.

I hear that. I think my fuel pump is going out, at least the sender is and my odometer/gear selector is gone so I need a cluster repair and neither are happening any time soon. Short of tearing it down, I don't know how to tell what's going on on the inside. I didn't check mine out at all before I bought but even if I had I doubt I could have known the sun shell bearing was going out. I think part of it is buy and cross your fingers. Before it went out I did plan on doing the shift kit and 'Vette servo anyway.

erickshoe

Reaction score
OK, I have done a lot of reading on the servo upgrade, I am almost ready to order a kit from oregonperformancetransmission but I dont know if I need the one that comes with a longer pin or just should get one without the pin at all? What arethe pros and cons of the longer pin? From what I understand it helps hold some band tighter/faster. I have a 2003 with 150k, it has a bit of a sloppy shift from 1st to second gear. What should I expect from doing this upgrade at this high mileage with or without the longer pin?

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I have done a lot of reading on the servo upgrade, I am almost ready to order a kit from oregonperformancetransmission but I dont know if I need the one that comes with a longer pin or just should get one without the pin at all? What arethe pros and cons of the longer pin? From what I understand it helps hold some band tighter/faster. I have a 2003 with 150k, it has a bit of a sloppy shift from 1st to second gear. What should I expect from doing this upgrade at this high mileage with or without the longer pin?

I don't know anything about the longer pin, hopefully someone else will chime in. I just bought the servo and o rings at the tranny supply house and gave them to my mechanic and said install these. As far as what you would notice, I would think if your 1/2 shift is sloppy you would notice an improvement.