Transmission Rebuild Time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phat LC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unghhh.....I didn't expect or still hope not to, have this issue come up so soon...

I have a 2001 Tahoe LT 5.3 with about 102,000 miles on it...

Just had the tranny fluid changed, along with the filter and the egr valve and water pump, and also had a new a/c belt put in....

Just started noticing the tranny shift a bit hard whenever moving from a dead stop and also once in a while sort of vibrating when coming to a stop....

ANY OTHER REASONS BESIDES THE TRANSMISSION THAT COULD CAUSE THIS?

I understand that I am young and somewhat inexperienced about cars so that is why I am seeking advice from you guys before I take it to a shop and have them deliberately rip me off....so if you have any info that could help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it...

By the way....I already checked the fluid level and it was red and didn't smell quite burnt...it also was slightly above the HOT reading and I checked it while in Park and after I had driven it for about 20 minutes...did I do anything wrong by checking it like this?

I am just trying to figure out how to go about this issue...and is a tranny rebuild or change happen UNTIL the current one gives out, or are they able to tell if there is a problem before?

rjardy

Reaction score
A hard shift can be caused by a few different things. First I would check the fluid level and make sure that it is correct.

EDIT: lol I didnt read the entire thread...seeing as you already checked the level of the fluid.....thats not it.

Hop under the truck and make sure that all the lines and everything is connected to the trans. Vacuum or electrical.

Last edited:

rjardy

Reaction score
Oh and the way you checked the fluid level is the correct way.

Phat LC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah, this problem appears at times...but yet I feel I should address it before it gets any worse....

Would there be any advantage to do it this way as opposed to wait for something to break down?

rjardy

Reaction score
If there is nothing visually disconnected from the the transmission, and the problem gets worse...I would just bite the bullet and take it in. Or take it back to the place you had service it, and tell them that after the service it started shifting hard. They may have used the wrong fluid...?

Phat LC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hoping they didn't.....

IF they did, would they be able to fix it?

And if they didn't, could another shop tell if they did just to make sure they weren't denying anything?

rjardy

Reaction score
dextron or mercon III is what it takes. Pretty common fluid. More than likely not the case. How hard is it shifting? It could just be that it was shifting sluggish before the fluid change, and now its shifting correctly. Does it happen all the time?

Scoobey

Reaction score
Don't Wait Until Something Breaks

I'm probably about to buy a new used Tahoe precisely because I wasn't aggressive enough about addressing tranny problems in my old Mazda MPV AWD van. When the tranny went out, it took the planetary gears with it -- major mechanical damage as well as seals etc., which made enough of a difference in rebuild price that I'm junking the car instead of fixing it. Moral: find a trustworthy transmission shop (no advice there except online reviews and word of mouth), and deal with probs early.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm probably about to buy a new used Tahoe precisely because I wasn't aggressive enough about addressing tranny problems in my old Mazda MPV AWD van. When the tranny went out, it took the planetary gears with it -- major mechanical damage as well as seals etc., which made enough of a difference in rebuild price that I'm junking the car instead of fixing it. Moral: find a trustworthy transmission shop (no advice there except online reviews and word of mouth), and deal with probs early.

X2 Get it looked at ASAP. If something breaks and the pieces go through the tranny you could be looking at a complete rebuild or new tranny. I wouldn't even drive it to the mechanic, have a buddy tow you down. If you have it worked on think about having a shift kit put in and definitely a 'Vette servo. The servo firms up the 1-2 shift and the kit firms them all up. That helps reduce wear. A tranny cooler is always a good idea too.

Phat LC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks, I had no idea that it could get that serious so soon....

Definitely going to have it looked at....appreciate your guys' time and help!!!

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get an opinion from a good shop, not sure who does good trans work in cali but I know Mike from inglewood trans has done some great stuff with diesels and could steer you in the right direction (4919 W Century Blvd, Inglewood, CA). In the event that a rebuild is needed I'd go with a mild built flt 4L60 from www.finishlinetrans.com, vince will take care of you they make some burly setups and I'll probably end up with their level 5 or a 4L80. Does your truck have a 5.3 or the 4.8? Kinda weird that your sig says 4.8 and you say 5.3 in the above post :skep:

Phat LC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i thought it was a 4.8 as well, but when i took it in for a tune-up, they ran the vin and it came up as 5.3.....weird how the carfax had it listed as 4.8.....could they have done something to the truck?

rjardy

Reaction score
whats the 8th digit of your VIN? that will tell us what engine it came with.

Phat LC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 8th digit of my vin is.......1GNEK13T21R206856.....the 8th digit of course being the "T"

Chads93GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure its not a U joint going out?

I wouldnt rebuild the trans just for the sake of having it rebuilt. Im at 219k miles in my 01 and the transmissino is fine. Never changed the fluid, never needed to.

rjardy

Reaction score
Are you sure its not a U joint going out?

I wouldnt rebuild the trans just for the sake of having it rebuilt. Im at 219k miles in my 01 and the transmissino is fine. Never changed the fluid, never needed to.

dude... 219k..never needed to change fluid? You have like 119 thousand reasons to change that trans fluid. Just because it seems like its operating fine doesnt mean that they fluid is doing its job like it was when it was fresh.

And if it was U joints, it would do it all the time.

Phat LC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also heard that if you change the fluid, you sometimes tend to cause problems to your tranny? Or is "flushing the transmission fluid" different than changing it?

What is a U Joint?

Also, if my truck is a 5.3, how come the speedometer only goes to 100 mph? wouldn't it go up to 120 mph?

rjardy

Reaction score
I also heard that if you change the fluid, you sometimes tend to cause problems to your tranny? Or is "flushing the transmission fluid" different than changing it?

What is a U Joint?

Also, if my truck is a 5.3, how come the speedometer only goes to 100 mph? wouldn't it go up to 120 mph?

I dont know, thats odd...mine is 5.3 and goes 120...

U joints are the things that are at either end of your drive shaft. They allow the drive shaft/tailshaft/and pinion angle to change with the travel of the suspension.