Trouble starting Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikemorales

Reaction score
2003 Tahoe. When I go to start, engine turns but won't start. When I go to try again it will start up quick like nothing is wrong. But never on first try. Fuel pressure measured and is ok. Fuel filter changed 15,000 ago. Had injectors cleaned. Still does same thing. What else can I try? Or anyone had thus problem and fixed it? Please help

delta579

Reaction score
I had 2 trucks come in with same symptoms. Two different solutions though. 1st was a bad crank sensor, plastic housing got hot too many times and cracked. 2nd one was a MAF. For some reason it always wanted to be "warmed up" before it would function. As I have a stock of "known good" parts I can test these engines with the parts before buying/charging for people for parts they don't need. Hope this helps.

mikemorales

Reaction score
But wouldn't the cam sensor and MAF both trigger a code. I also had codes checked and none were there

KLFER

Reaction score
Your fuel pressure might be bleeding off when sitting for awhile, when you go to start the engine there might not be enough fuel pressure to start the engine, when the key is turned to start the engine fuel pump shuts off while cranking till the key is back to the on position. if you turn the key to the on position for a few seconds then try to start the engine if that work then you have to find out whats loosing pressure. could be a dirty injector not closing all the way, bad fpr but most of the time its the fuel pump.

Delay

Reaction score
My 2004 Z71 does the same thing. If I prime the fuel pump my turning the key to the run position twice it fires right up. If I try and start it on the first try it will only do it half the time. I'm pretty sure it's just the early signs of the fuel pump going out. Not looking forward to that bill. I have 84,000 miles on the truck.

Erikmeister

Reaction score
I had this exact problem on my 04 LT. It would do the same thing and then the fuel pump died driving down the freeway.

delta579

Reaction score
Fuel pump check valve? It's in the fuel pump assembly. This will cause you to excessively "prime" the system with "key on, key off" before actually cranking engine. It's a costly "trial and error" fix. Hope it isn't that.
OBD II doesn't catch all problems, all the time. It is good for a starting point though.

KLFER

Reaction score
I retro-fitted a walbro 255 lph into the factory pump assembly, bought the pump for 80 bux. no problems since.