truck gave out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kandle09

Reaction score
sorry, but im new at this. i have a 2003 chevy tahoe 4wd. i was driving down the street and all of the sudden it started to spaz out. the ABS light, emergency brake light, and engine light came on. it also said to service 4wd and something else, but i remember that that wasnt so important. i pulled of the side of the road and turned my truck off to let it chill for a second. about a minute later, i tried to turn it on, and it wouldnt even try. i turned the key forward and it didnt even make a click noise from the starter. that means that the starter is not getting power. but, im getting every electronic to work though. im reading about 11-12 volts from the battery (thats good). so, that means that the problem lies in between the battery and the starter. no fuses are blown either. i had my subs hooked up to the fuse that makes everything work when u have the key to the on position. they did not turn on. i have a converter running from the bose amp to the kicker amp that i have. the kicker amp is not getting power. so. sinse the start position fuse is ok, then that means that the problem lies somewhere past the fuse. any ideas would be very appreciated.

burbanman03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
battery connections

check both positive and negative battery connections make sure they are good and solid

let us know

dave/angie

Reaction score
Is there a fuseable link in line there anywhere around the battery? Maybe it's melted....

Kandle09

Reaction score
no. i checked the terminals. i took them off and put them back on to reset the system. didnt do a thing. and no i dont thin there is any fuseable line around the battery. thanks for trying though

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May be the alternator. It sounds like you have extra goodies in that truck that might be putting extra load on it. If it has not started since the truck spaz'd on you, then the alternator might have just died out right instead of a slow death. Your battery would still have charge in it too, enough to power the radio & electrical accessories.... for now.

BH

'98customhoe

Reaction score
check the solenoid. the battery is fine thus it was recharged by the alternator while driving so apparently that's fine, you said all your fuses were good,if all the wiring is still good then it only sounds like the solenoid. But I'm not an expert just putting in my advice

chevytech03

Reaction score
Ck ground circuits at rear of eng, one bolts striaght down behind pass side of intake manifold, these will break. it's a single wire. drivers side at bell housing there are 2-3 ground circuits, ck those also

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The initial problem you talked about has nothing to do with the starter, or the solenoid.

Like Chevytech said, check the grounds. I had a work owned F-150 that would not stay running, and we determined that the ground wire was coming loose. I had plenty of juice for the radio, lights, etc... but no bueno on running the engine.

BH