Turn Signal Malfunction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kheller1

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 2005 Tahoe and am having an odd set of malfunctions.

A. First off, when you use the left turn signal, the left, right and center rear lights all blink.
B if you press the brake during a turn, they all go off.
c. Sometimes the problem goes away.

Have tried checking all the rear lights, connectors and plugs. Nothing appears wrong. The battery connectors look good with no corrosion (new battery)

suggestions?

Last edited:

demarest652

Reaction score
If you have the tow package check the trailer light wiring I had one get broke by a towtruck and it had similar problems. Its been awhile since I've looked at the harness back there but I believe that you can unplug the harness from the trailer light plug and plug the two sides back together if that makes sense and see if it fixes the problem.

kaurik311

Reaction score
I had this problem. 2005 Tahoe. Sometimes they worked sometimes they didn't. I bought a new multi function lever. (Turn signal switch) for $225 installed it and it changed absolutely nothing. I'm willing to bet you will have the same thing happen. So do not buy a switch from dealer. Its expensive and you can not return it. I have one for sale $100 if you need it. However I would say you don't. My problem was in the relay under the dash on the drivers side. I didn't even replace it. I took it out cleaned the contacts and have not had a problem since then. That relay has a small metal lever in it that moves to make contact and if it has bad contact it will cause intermittent problems. Its easy to open it up and check. Use a small wire brush, tooth pick pocket knife etc to ensure good contact points. Hope this helps. Worst case scenario purchasing a new relay is going to be way cheaper than a turn signal lever.

kheller1

Reaction score
Update: Its Fixed! My wife decided to help, she pulled the relay, cleaned the contacts and replaced while I traced the trailer wiring harness checking and tightening all connections. Works perfectly. Thanks for all of the suggestions as it saved me $$$ over taking this to the dealership.

One note, getting the relay out was really, really difficult. Ended up using a screwdriver to pry it out from the bottom. Plus, its fits in firmly. Make sure you get it set back in all the way.

Cheers!!!

Last edited:

kaurik311

Reaction score
Update: Its Fixed! My wife decided to help, she pulled the relay, cleaned the contacts and replaced while I traced the trailer wiring harness checking and tightening all connections. Works perfectly. Thanks for all of the suggestions as it saved me $$$ over taking this to the dealership.

One note, getting the relay out was really, really difficult. Ended up using a screwdriver to pry it out from the bottom. Plus, its fits in firmly. Make sure you get it set back in all the way.

Cheers!!!

I had a feeling this was the same problem I was having. Apparently it's common. You are not the first person I have helped with this. Probably not the last. :) I'm glad to help.

Longhorn

Reaction score
name of relay

I had a feeling this was the same problem I was having. Apparently it's common. You are not the first person I have helped with this. Probably not the last. :) I'm glad to help.
I am having the same exact problem with my 2013 Tahoe. Exactly which relay are you talking about?

Longhorn

Reaction score
name of relay

Cheers!!!
I am having exactly the same problem with my 2013 Tahoe. What is the name of the relay you are talking about?

RobbysDad

Reaction score
I know this is super old, but bad ground wires to the frames can make things work, not work, things go off, turn back on, complete havoc.

I have a 2005 Tahoe and I have 3 of them and I know one is under the driver side door to the frame.

One is under the front that comes right off the negative battery cable to the frame too.

Mine was doing some weird stuff rear wiper turning on in hot weather due to the AC would be blasting and would take the ground.

Current will take the easiest path it can follow.

I started to have all kinds of weird stuff going on with the wiper which I feel was the start of the ground going bad. Then dash lights, things on and off, you name it...

Found my ground under the front of the frame off just hanging. Ground the frame down to shiny metal, new connector which I crimp, solder, and put shrink tubing on....

Problem solved...