Used 2000 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

r.knighter

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a noob and I'm looking at buying a used 2000 Denali. The truck and I are up in Toronto, Canada, but was originally sold in Nashville (2000) and moved up here in 2006 - less exposure to winters, ice and road salts, which is great!

It has 216,000km and has been maintained by what seems to be a very meticulous owner. He did all his own maintenance (fluids, fuel pump) and I believe he took very good care of the truck. The interior looks very very clean, same for the exterior.

For a SUV this old and used, what should I look for in terms of "hidden" (not obvious to non-mechanical folk) problems or signs of potential future problems? I won't be spending too much on it, because it will be a part time vehicle - some boat towing a few times a years, and only driven in the worst parts of Toronto winters.

Why not get a different SUV then? I simply love the Yukons and the 2000 Denali!

Thanks so much!

blackdiamond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing i would do is undercoat. lol If its not on there already... I would look for Upper and lower control arm bushings rotted- shocks- Ck front wheel play (bearings)- Excessive rust on steering shaft- All rubber bushings check. Ck all fluids- Engine oil, Tranny fluid, Transfer case fluid level. Both diffs ect... Drive ck for vibrations, brake fade, funny noises, Ect.. Those things are pretty quiet except for fuel pumps. Run a bottle of injector cleaner through. Lucas upper cylinder lube following the injector cleaner.