What can i do to get better MPG?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texasv8

Reaction score
1)I was thinking of tunning for gas mileage, not performance.
2)Droping a K&N filter instead of the stock one.
3)Jet perfomance module?
4)????

Any ideas are welcome!

clkelley

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been covered already, but what year is your truck? What engine? You may want to go to USERCP>Edit Signature and add your vehicle specifics to your signature so that they are out there as you move through the boards with different questions.

Tuning your truck for mileage can be a good idea, but which "tuner" to buy depends a lot on what all you want to be able to do with it. Would you like something that is just plug and play with a little more power/economy and that's it; or would you like to also be able to check and clear diagnostic trouble codes or monitor engine operating functions like timing, etc.

A K&N intake can help, but by itself it may not have as much effect as you might like. Improving air flow into the engine is good, but it would help to increase air flow out of the engine as well with a better flowing aftermarket exhaust. Together with a good tuning option could have a decent increase in mileage.

Other things to consider are, if you haven't already, install full synthetic fluids throughout your drivetrain and tire pressure. Running synthetics will help with mileage as a result of their uniformed molecular structure that provides better flow characteristics. With the tires, it is a trade off, but running the max PSI at all times will provide the best possible mileage, the trade off is increased premature wear on the center portion of the tread, leaving you buying tires more often.

chronoboy

Reaction score
I know how you could get better MPG, its easy dont drive a tahoe.... ;) j/k i do feel ya though, gas prices are crazy even though i live in a area with the lowest prices in the country... still not cheap though, thats why i love my neon and matrix, the matrix gets over 40mpg highway, but if i could afford it I would drive the tahoe everywhere, such a comfy ride.

clkelley

Reaction score
Yeah, we just hit $3.55 a gallon around here and it takes $80+ to fill up from empty. Gotta love that "Hope & Change"

tonymac617

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Want better gas mileage or better yet cheaper gas? Go to Stop&Shop sign up for their rewards program and shop there. When you get enough rewards points, you can use them towards gas savings at their sponsored gas stations.

My Company orders a ton of food through Peapod (Stop&Shop service) and I typed in my card there and save almost $1.00/ gallon of gas whever I fill up which is once a week since I commute to work during the week using public transportation. :waytogo:

clkelley

Reaction score
We were using Food City value card savings until I figured out that they limit the amount of gas you can get on one fill up. They limit their rewards to $0.05 per gallon for up to 20 gallons so the savings aren't really there when you consider how much you have to buy at the store before the rewards kick in. Around here there are no other savings programs like that. Of course, we DO live in a little town on top of a mountain in the country...lol

tonymac617

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes! Stop&Shop limits their fill ups too but I think their Min. is 25 gallons. Also for every $1 you spend you get one rewards point. For every 100 points, you get .10 off. My companies food order comes to almost $600 a week. So that bundled with what I spend there, its about $1.00/gallon. My last fill up was under $3/gallon.

clkelley

Reaction score
Oh yeah, if we sent that much it might be better at FC, but honestly, with gas purchases and groceries we still only spend about $2-250 a week there overall. But overall it only winds up saving us about $3 on one fill up per month...lol Not really worth the real estate in takes up in the wallet.

clkelley

Reaction score
But, then again, that is still $3 saved. So that is something along with everything else stated in this thread. Overall they add up so give and take and a possible noticeable increase in mileage.

tonymac617

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too bad their incentives arent more worth the effort. I can also get gas at BJ's Wholesale club since Im a member, but the S&S is a much better deal. Usually when going on long trips, I use my Cruise Control and set it at 70 and stay in the middle lane. Less slowing down and speeding up for merging traffic at the on-ramps.

clkelley

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't like cruise in the Dmax, with the turbo, etc it holds well and even builds boost up hill, but once I get to the top of the hill it keeps pulling just enough to send me rolling down the other side pretty good, not consistent at all. I have been impressed with the cruise in the Yukon, it is very consistent, almost annoyingly so at times.

clum553946

Reaction score
Replace your tires when yours are worn, with Low Rollong Resistance (LLR) tires.