what is HIDS????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SapperRyash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am awaiting the arrival of my new Projector Dual Halo/"Angel Eyes." I have seen ppl talk about HIDS and stuff on here. What is that?

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HID = High Intensity Discharge

These are Xenon plasma arc lamps that emit extremely bright light. You see them on Acura TSX's, Cadillac Escalades, and other newer vehicles (Buick Enclave, etc).

Read more on them over here.

You can get kits that have the HID lamps (bulbs), and the additional required components (ballasts for low-voltage DC to high-voltage DC step-up, usually with integrated ignitors; and a relay-harness to connect it all). These kits are made mostly in Asia. They are not DOT approved for on-road use here in the USA, and are mostly available through online sellers only (and your custom shops can get 'em for you too, but you'll pay more). You replace your stock halogen gas incandescent lamps with these, and presto, you can see for real. Great mod, just steer clear of the "blue" colored ones if you want to avoid getting ticketed. This means you'll be looking for a bulb that is in the 4300K-6000K range.

Does that help?

Last edited:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they produce about 350% more light than your standard halagon, blows high beams away (when properly aimed) can give you all the sight with out blinding on coming traffic.

even though they are not street leagle in the usa, if you listen to GW and get 4300- 5000 ( i think 6000k is still too blue but that its just the strict VA law) you should be fine. the projectors were a good move as you just made them sort of legle.

most of your street lights use the same technology, just they take about 5-7 min to get to full intensity, auto makers HID's only take about 5-7 seconds to get to full brightness.

any more info needed or if you need more detail your going to need to ask GW he has a huge knowlege on headlights.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, 6000K is as blue as I'd ever go, and that's pushing it for me. I have 5300K bi-xenons for my headlights, and 5000K's in my fogs. They're already a teeny bit bluish, and they're distinguishable from standard halogen gas incandescent lights, which is what I wanted. They also aren't so blue that I'll get a ticket... Lots of tuners around here get the 10000K and 12000K and even bluer/purpler lights, and they look retarded IMO. I've seen them pulled over on several occasions, but that may have been because of the fart-can exhaust noise ordinance, who knows.

I'm really no "expert", I just did my homework before getting set up with mine, and would never go back to halogen. Now I'm saving some $$$ for another HID setup for my daily driver; I hate driving that thing at night at this point, even with the upgraded halogen incandescent bulbs that I've got in there. Once you get used to HID, it's gonna be hard to go back.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, 6000K is as blue as I'd ever go, and that's pushing it for me. I have 5300K bi-xenons for my headlights, and 5000K's in my fogs. They're already a teeny bit bluish, and they're distinguishable from standard halogen gas incandescent lights, which is what I wanted. They also aren't so blue that I'll get a ticket... Lots of tuners around here get the 10000K and 12000K and even bluer/purpler lights, and they look retarded IMO. I've seen them pulled over on several occasions, but that may have been because of the fart-can exhaust noise ordinance, who knows.

I'm really no "expert", I just did my homework before getting set up with mine, and would never go back to halogen. Now I'm saving some $$$ for another HID setup for my daily driver; I hate driving that thing at night at this point, even with the upgraded halogen incandescent bulbs that I've got in there. Once you get used to HID, it's gonna be hard to go back.

is there a such thing as halagon incadecents?? or is your man van (NOT more like mini man van j/k) sealed beams? i though incadecents were what were used in cars before halagon existed. at least thats what i found when researching lights for my 84 benz.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't confuse yourself...

Halogen gases are what pressurizes modern incandescent headlights. Sealed beam is just the style of headlights. Sealed beams are the entire headlight bulb / assembly, like on the old Hoes/Burbs/Kons from 94-99. An "incandescent bulb" is general term for a light bulb that uses a filament pressurized in an enclosure with certain gases that prevent the filament from burning itself up when electricity passes through it. A "halogen bulb" is simply an incandescent bulb that is filled with a halogen gas. "Halogen" is just the class of gas pressurizing the bulb, and can be used in replacement bulbs and sealed beams. I suppose you could also have sealed-beam HIDs, but that would be terribly confusing and it would seriously limit the applications.

No, I'm not related to Thomas Edison or anything. I'm just a big nerd, and just love physics, and electronics, and general science stuff.
:thk::umn::thk:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and no, my Caravan does not use sealed beams. I think sealed beams went bye-bye for many vehicles in the early late 80's / early 90's. The third generation '96 and newer Dodge / Plymouth / Chrysler vans all use 9000 series replacement bulbs in headlamp assemblies. I'd have no problem putting HIDs in mine, except I've got more important things to spend my money on at the moment...

:au:

So, I'm stuck with halogen incandescent crap for now. Yeah, they're Sylvania Silverstars, but still...

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cadillac and mercedes were late adaptors for early 80's then.

but i upgraded the mercedes to housings about a month ago. now with an HID kit too.

SapperRyash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay well will mine come with the sweet looking lights that you guys are talking about and will they be just like the ones that everyone shows pics of on here?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will have to purchase a 9006 high intensity discharge lighting kit and install them in your new housings. I'd go with 6000k and they'll look like my denali but may have a better cutoff depending on the quality of the projector
IMG00324.jpg

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have actully found that the denali housing is a hellava lot better than any aftermarket projector i have tried. after two differnt aftermarket projectors i wised up and bought denali ones from gm, they rock. :yesnod:

rustic

Reaction score
RT,

Would the Denali housings fit on a 03 tahoe? I am about to order some 9006 HID's from Mike for my low beams.

Or should i just stay stock housing?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RT,

Would the Denali housings fit on a 03 tahoe? I am about to order some 9006 HID's from Mike for my low beams.

Or should i just stay stock housing?

They will NOT fit. im sorry to say, as the yukon has a different front end than the tahoe.

stock ones will work, just make sure you aim them right to avoid blinding other drivers, and to avoid any trouble with the cops.

AudiSport12

Reaction score
Will the Denali projectors fit in a '01 Yukon? I want to get a 4300-5000K kit as anything more than that is too much blue for me.

I have 8000ks in my Audi and I wish they weren't so blue because I look like a little rice rocket honda :(

DSCF0219.jpg

DSCF0220-1.jpg

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes they will.

thats a beautyful cut off though on the audi, they dont look like projectors. NICE. but iagree, need somthing like 5000k on there or somthing.

AudiSport12

Reaction score
What is my best bet in getting a set of Denali projectors? I only want the OEM stuff as far as projectors go. Probably a junkyard or something? Ebay? Classifieds? Anything but going to the stealership!

yes they will.

thats a beautyful cut off though on the audi, they dont look like projectors. NICE. but iagree, need somthing like 5000k on there or somthing.

Yeah, they are projectors. The camera just makes it look like its not. The cutoff lines in that pic are off too because that was before I aimed them.

DSCF0128.jpg

AudiSport12

Reaction score
Sorry for so many questions, but how much did you end up paying for the projectors? Did you also get the lower light housings as well? Any pictures?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for so many questions, but how much did you end up paying for the projectors? Did you also get the lower light housings as well? Any pictures?

i will get some pics up, but they were 250 a shot. i only got the housings, but imo well worth it since GMC headlights have such good projectors.