what is the best hi beam bulb for max lighting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

odie301

Reaction score
I currently have a VVME 6000k 35 watt HID kit in my low beams...I love it and haven't had problems with it yet. Looking to update my hi beams as the stock yellowish bulb looks like crap when it is on with the HIDs ( i did the 4 hi mod already).

So what is the most wattage I could put to the high beams? I have seen some 100watt blue coated bulbs (not the best thing but would look similar color wise). I was thinking that 100 watts will fry my wiring and i dont want to do that.

I would do HIDs in the hi beam if it wasn't for the people that think they need to flash me because I have bright blue bulbs. Yes they are bright but I have them adjusted away from their lane...SO i need to be able to flash back and for the idiots that leave there hi beams on.

Ok anyway what is the deal with these HIRs do they come in a color similar to my low beams and are they better than a higher wattage 9005 bulb?

What would you guys recommend putting in I don't use my hi beams all that often as the main road to work is traveled quite a lot by other motorist, but i do occasionally go down gravel and other country roads and the more light the better.

667theneighbour

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100w may ruin the reflectors. I would go for 55w HIDs, but I don't usually flash the highs. I've got vvme 35w 5000k on lows and highs. Very happy, but will probably order 55w ballast for the highs soon.

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could try Silverstars they are closer to HID. I dont know if you want blue bulbs or not but im sure there are some out there that wont melt you housing or wires.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could try Silverstars they are closer to HID. I dont know if you want blue bulbs or not but im sure there are some out there that wont melt you housing or wires.

they aren't as bright as the HID's or as bright as the HIR's but I bought all four Silverstar Ultra's on ebay for 43 or 47 bucks, I forget which, delivered. Definitely an improvement over stock.

odie301

Reaction score
I put silverstar ultra's in the hi and low on my wifes 08 grand prix... doesnt seem like much of a difference. Maybe i will just get some of those cheap blue bulbs so they at least match my HID kit a little better. I just don't know if the over wattage ones on ebay would wreck anything or if I should find a set that are 65watts for the hi beam.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put silverstar ultra's in the hi and low on my wifes 08 grand prix... doesnt seem like much of a difference. Maybe i will just get some of those cheap blue bulbs so they at least match my HID kit a little better. I just don't know if the over wattage ones on ebay would wreck anything or if I should find a set that are 65watts for the hi beam.

Are the lenses clean/yellowed? I replaced lows and highs in my 'Ho and can definitely tell a difference. They are whiter and brighter, maybe not HID brighter, but I could tell a difference. Try this, if you have the old bulbs switch one side out then find a stretch of dark road and see if you can tell any difference. I did that when I changed mine and side by side you tell the difference easier. Like I said, not night and day difference, but worth the 43 bucks for all four lights

kd0ezq

Reaction score
I have just changed over to Wagner TruView bulbs. They have a slight purplish hue to them. They are much improved over the old bulbs I took out. They seem to fill up the housing with more light. Got them for 12.95 a piece at the local federated auto parts store

clkelley

Reaction score
I have to say if/when I put HID's in the wife's Denali it will be DDM Tuning balasts. I plan to do them all all at once and then to the all on when high mod.

st3v3n

Reaction score
there are numerous bulbs out there to choose from. i heard that Silverstars are awesome but i haven't tried it before. when you're shopping for one, just make sure where you're getting it. :secret:

chevy hids