What is this under hood switch /sensor ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stilllearning6

Reaction score
2003 Tahoe- on the battery side , next to the massive fuse box is a steel brace cross-member (about a foot long by 4 inches wide) which runs diagonally from the driver side fender to the edge of the hood frame .
The cross brace is secured with 4 hex head bolts.

There is a spring loaded plunger style switch / sensor that is attached to this cross member brace.

There is a hidden single wire that attaches to the switch / sensor from below the switch/sensor.

It appears as if the spring loaded pop up plunger switch / sensor pops upward under spring loaded pressure when the hood is opened , just as an "open door switch" would behave.

What is the function of this switch/ sensor ?
Mine has just broken from underneath , yet I do not see any indicators/ hood lights/ alarms being triggered.

Scrtcell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is this under my hood

If you post a picture someone may be able to figure it out...

stilllearning6

Reaction score
Failed photo attachment after 7 tries to upload with paperclip attachment

Took several photos in iPhoto to desktop , selected photos, upload , failed several times.

There is no alarm , original owner.
Resembles an open hood switch of some kind ; possibly hood light switch , but there is no hood light anywhere that I could find.
In several postings, folks discuss lack of OEM hood light in their 2003 Tahoe.

Tried researching component at Chev Tahoe GM website, no luck.
Still a mystery until I visit a dealer.

samotahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe the factory alarm. there is no light for the hood release but there may as well be a switch for the hood on the alarm system in case someone would want to open the hood without disarming then the alarm will sound. have you tried to arm your alarm and leave the hood open? will it arm? ill try to do some more research on alldata but maybe im assuming its something else.

stilllearning6

Reaction score
photo of unidentified hood switch / sensor

I hope the photo is below : note that the compression has sprung out . It used to encompass the black tower plunger stem .

Attachments

• Tahoe 2003 Hood switch:sensor.jpg
    Tahoe 2003 Hood switch:sensor.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

stilllearning6

Reaction score
Remote starter system possible

Thank you. The car has an after-market remote starter. Sounds reasonable.