What To Do If Tow Mode Isn't Engaging??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CSRMarc

Reaction score
I use my Tahoe for work and noticed yesterday and today when I hit the Tow Mode button nothing happens. As well as a slight rattle under the drivers floorboard. (Alomost like a loose cable flapping against something.

With my Sierra it was completely obvious when I was in Tow Mode but not the Tahoe.

Any ideas on these issues and what's the best way to find out the gearing in my Tahoe?

Thanks a bunch guys.

Marc
<><

M.M. 700

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just read a post on here (can't remember where) same problem. From what I read on that post, there is a small coated cable which has 2 small orange (if I remeber right) that has a tendency of braking.
You take the bottom plastic part of the steering column off and you should find it.\

Maybe somebody else willl chime in. Or do some searching on here.

CSRMarc

Reaction score
M.M.700 I sure appreciate this, yeah I usually try looking around 1st but kind of spaced it this time, sorry about that.

Thanks again,
Marc

CSRMarc

Reaction score
Well, got in there and the wires look good. I'll post pics and add to the link above.

Anyone know of what else it could be? The Tow/haul mode light does come on when button is pushed.
I tow everyday and really don't want to tear my tranny up.

04Sierra-TahoeTrade-In07-26-08026.jpg

Thanks,
Marc

Last edited:

CSRMarc

Reaction score
Well I found out I have 3:42 gear ratio which I'm thinking has a lot to do with it. The wife and I took it to the store and as we we going up a hill I pushed the tow mode and felt a slight downshift. So atleast I know it's working, but towing over 55mph it's a sled.lol
I do get better gas mileage, but wow it feels slow, and as I press the gas I hear that cable rattling sound.
Do I get a aftermarket tranny cooler and a few mods for HP or do I swap the rear end for 3:73?

Thanks for bumping my thread, much appreciated. I should have titled the thread better.lol

M.M. 700

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the rattle happen only when pushing on the gas?\
Does it only rattle when it is in tow haul mode?
Any work done to the motor?

Kinda sounding like, the old noncomputer 350's when the timming if all F'ed up.......

CSRMarc

Reaction score
Does the rattle happen only when pushing on the gas?\
Does it only rattle when it is in tow haul mode?
Any work done to the motor?

Kinda sounding like, the old noncomputer 350's when the timming if all F'ed up.......

Yes, only happens when I step on the gas and in tow mode. When I tow I leave it in tow mode, but I'm sure it would happen if I was towing and had it out of tow mode.
No work done to motor that I can tell. Just a stock 04' with 41k mi. and a 3:42 gear ratio.

Yeah, do I do simple mods or just change out the gear ratio?

Thanks,
Marc