Which 4WD Switch Do I Need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danemodsandy

Reaction score
Hello:

I am in need of a new 4WD switch for my '99 Tahoe, but in looking over the switches offered on eBay (Dorman), I'm seeing that there are cautions about ordering the correct one, that you have to match it to the correct transfer case. I'm reading that you can determine the transfer case (such as an NP8) from the build sheet, but of course the build sheet is no longer with the car.

Does anyone know how to determine this?

Thanks!

Sandy McLendon

2000tahoez71

Reaction score
You may be able to look in the glove compartment and check the RPO codes. There is a website somewhere that decodes them all. NP8 may be an RPO code, I am not sure. I was always under the impression that if you got a switch that matched what came out you were fine(ie some have the auto 4wd autotrac, some don't).

Andrew99Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello:

I am in need of a new 4WD switch for my '99 Tahoe, but in looking over the switches offered on eBay (Dorman), I'm seeing that there are cautions about ordering the correct one, that you have to match it to the correct transfer case. I'm reading that you can determine the transfer case (such as an NP8) from the build sheet, but of course the build sheet is no longer with the car.

Does anyone know how to determine this?

Thanks!

Sandy McLendon

Does it not currently have one? It'll either be a 3 button or 4 button switch.