Which is finer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is in relation to my "How do I polish these rims" post. In playing with them I've gone as course as 180 grit wet/dry to get through the corrosion then worked up to a shine from there. For the last steps, I sanded with 2000 grit, then used 0000 steel wool to polish with aluminum polish then polished with a terry applicator. My question is, does anyone know how the 0000 compares to the 2000 grit? I thought it was finer but if it's not it doesn't make sense to use the 0000 AFTER the 2000 grit.

Thanks.

tac53lpd

Reaction score
I would think the 0000 is finer. I use it to get the boot polish off the chrome exhaust on my H-D Road King at work. It doesn't damage the chrome finish at all.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think the 0000 is finer. I use it to get the boot polish off the chrome exhaust on my H-D Road King at work. It doesn't damage the chrome finish at all.

That's kinda what I was thinking but it's nice to have another opinion, thanks.

CSRMarc

Reaction score
I know at the auto paint supply store they carry wet/dry paper that goes up to 3000 grit. Can't imagine the 0000 being finer than that cause 3000 feels like notebook paper.

But honestly you don't have to go any higher, 2000 should be plenty cause compounds/polishers should take care of the rest.

I didn't read your other post so if this was all discussed, my apoligies.

Marc

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know at the auto paint supply store they carry wet/dry paper that goes up to 3000 grit. Can't imagine the 0000 being finer than that cause 3000 feels like notebook paper.

But honestly you don't have to go any higher, 2000 should be plenty cause compounds/polishers should take care of the rest.

I didn't read your other post so if this was all discussed, my apoligies.

Marc

It's all good, I appreciate the feedback.