Whinning Noise from Rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

terrycounciljr

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Tahoe and a lot of the time there is a whinning noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. It does not seem to affect performance and does not trigger a notification of any sort. Any one have this whine or know what it is? Thanks.

c19dale

Reaction score
probably the worn gears. They usually only whine under a load, as in when you have your foot on the gas, if you coast, you probably do not hear it. Eather way, it sounds like you need new gears. I have a 2001 Yukon and had that whining noise around 115K miles. After new gears...no noise....

Brandon00hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be your fuel pump. Mine wines loud after about an hour of driving. I can't hear it in the truck but its loud outside the truck.

c19dale

Reaction score
true on the fuel pump...forgot about that...but that whine will always be there...gear whine should only be there when your on the gas and not coasting. Fuel pump you can hear while sitting still...

SapperRyash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the same problem, i think. mine is like a high pitched eeeee sound. i was thinking it could be an exhaust leak or something. my buddy has a 99 silerado and his does it too. does it sound the same as what you guys are talking about?

Brandon00hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the same problem, i think. mine is like a high pitched eeeee sound. i was thinking it could be an exhaust leak or something. my buddy has a 99 silerado and his does it too. does it sound the same as what you guys are talking about?

The eeeee sound is the fuel pump. Every chevy truck does it, some louder than others.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the fuel pump replaced on my wifes 2003 Z71 right before we traded it. It would get loud on the interstate after a couple of hours, it drove me crazy because we would make a trip or two back and forth from Florida to Atlanta every week. That started around 95k and had it replaced around 110k.

zeokter

Reaction score
I have that same sound. Is the sound an indication that its time to change the fuel pump? If its harmless, What exactly is causing the sound?