Why did you buy a truck and where are you located?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

solidgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am curious as I decided to buy a Tahoe for winter months (which is like 7-8 months here in Fargo, ND), but more for secure feeling of a larger vehicle and being able to drive in the winter without fear for my life.

I don't tow, carry numerous passengers (there are only 5 seats in my tahoe 2front/2middle/1thirdrow), or haul large cargo. However, my work is only 7.9 miles away from home, I don't drive long distance often. It is nice to know that I can, but the way I use it, I would save more money by renting a truck when I need it.

I come from sedans and coupes and this is the largest car I have ever owned. After driving in it a while, I get scared to get in my 350Z as it feels so much lower.....so I am selling that car. I must be just getting old.

I could have bought a AWD car though.

Edit: I am married with no kids and no dogs. But I really want both.

50% vanity/40% practical use/ 10% want
Fargo, ND

Last edited:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% WANT. IM single, have no kids, and could get by just fine with my vette.

I used to tow with my 06 but i absolutly REFUSE to tow with this one, i absolutly REFUSE to do anything to this truck other than drive it on the road, its too dam nice.

But if you want to get detailed about it, i have been buying Gm fullsizes for ever, i got my licence in 2003 and bought a 87 k5 blazer, have bought tahoes and suburbans since, totaling 7. I just love the BIG, SAFE, SMOOTH, POWERFUL aspects of them, this thing is BIG, SAFE, ROOMY, and SMOOTH, so its awsome for long trips.

i will buy a sierra or silverado sometime in the future for towing.

But im probably the least pratical person on the face of this earth. I own a 3800 sqft house just for me and my 2 dogs. LOL.

High4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We use it for off-road exploring (long trips doing this), taking off-road trails in the Smoky Mtns to trout fish, and like the safety (visibility and structural) and comfort. We live on a lake and when it snows, even though it isn't that much, 4wd is needed to get in and out. It is usually just two of us and the room is great for trips particularly considering the extra gear/supplies needed to be off-road. So, it's an ultra safe daily driver, a toy for exploring (a year round hobby), a means of recreation in and of itself, a means to enjoy other recreation, and necessary at times due to weather.

08_Denali

Reaction score
I use my for a few reasons:

1. Towing my Wakeboard boat (About every weekend in the summer)
2. Snowboard trips to Tahoe
3. Towing my two kids around (2 years old and 2 months old)
4. Towing my two dogs around

This is my second "New" full sized GM vehicle. I purchased a 2000 Tahoe back in '99 with the past body style hit the streets. I loved that truck to death. I put 130,000 miles on it, and i swear half of that was towing a boat. When the new body style came out, i just had to have one :)

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
110% WANT.

Besides, 22 mpg on highway and the knowledge that my wife and I are riding in a TRUCK, instead of a tin can, is WORTH the money.

Not enough difference in cost per mile to override the comfort and peace of mind factor.

Poe1983

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simply because it's what I want. Unmarried, no kids, keep up with payments and gas and still have money left over. It's a beautiful ride and chicks dig trucks bro. Plus it's very useful for the Vegas trips when we load a bunch of coolers and beer as well as other cargo. Perfect ride!

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We got the Tahoe for long trips so we could take our dog and have her be somewhat comfortable. She's a great dane, so she needed a fair amount of room.

We were debating between the Acadia and the Tahoe, and the Tahoe won:

Acadia:
Better handling/smoother ride
Better headlights
Better gas mileage

Tahoe:
Off road capable (beach during the summer)
More power
More room
3x the towing capacity
looks better (matter of opinion)
Proven model over the years
0% Financing

It was still a hard decision, but given that I drive 4 miles to work the gas mileage doesn't matter that much. After owning one, I KNOW I made the right decision! After all there is no way I could have fit my killer audio system inside the console on that thing :thumbsup:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We got the Tahoe for long trips so we could take our dog and have her be somewhat comfortable. She's a great dane, so she needed a fair amount of room.

We were debating between the Acadia and the Tahoe, and the Tahoe won:

Acadia:
Better handling/smoother ride
Better headlights
Better gas mileage

Tahoe:
Off road capable (beach during the summer)
More power
More room
3x the towing capacity
looks better (matter of opinion)
Proven model over the years
0% Financing

It was still a hard decision, but given that I drive 4 miles to work the gas mileage doesn't matter that much. After owning one, I KNOW I made the right decision! After all there is no way I could have fit my killer audio system inside the console on that thing :thumbsup:

actully the acadias HEADLIGHTS SUCK enless you get the HIDS which you can only get on an slt-2 so your pro is actully a con with out HIDS. their DIM and have a horrible cut off. Their worse than the tahoes stock halagons.

plus IMO i think an yukon or tahoe with autoride is smoother than the acadia.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say 50% Comfort, 25% Reliability, 25% Safety. I put well over 35k a year on my primary car and I need to be in something comfortable and reliable. I'm in my 20's, married, no kids, one dog, and usually drive alone. Tahoes have proved themselves in my book as far as comfort and reliability. I'm on my 4th Tahoe, but still own the 3rd, and I they have never left me stranded or given me and big trouble even after the 100k mark. I'll suck up the price of gas and depreciation as long as I can afford it, theres nothing better or more solid than a Tahoe.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a lot of cars but this is my 5th truck, all of them were 4WD. Got this one for several reasons:
1. I've always loved Chevy trucks.
2. Chevy knows how to make trucks well.
3. I used to dream about having a new Tahoe (Blazers then), and this one looks like the best ever.
4. This will haul my girlfriend, 2 kids, and some grandparents comfortably and safely.
5. We can go anywhere.
6. Safety.
7. The DVD player is worth its weight in gold.

As long as this truck doesn't get totalled, I will keep it til the day I die. I'm already taking measures to preserve it throughout, and i'd rather have this than any 2012 unibody one. Years later I will probably drop in a new, bigger motor, HD trans, and beefier axle assembly; and rebuild the suspension. For me this truck is the be all/ end all.

Black LT3 Z71 4WD with every available option and 4.10 gears- enough said.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actully the acadias HEADLIGHTS SUCK enless you get the HIDS which you can only get on an slt-2 so your pro is actully a con with out HIDS. their DIM and have a horrible cut off. Their worse than the tahoes stock halagons.

plus IMO i think an yukon or tahoe with autoride is smoother than the acadia.

Well I test drove an acadia with the HIDs and the tahoe without autoride, so I guess it was a matter of options there. Those were both low on the list of importance anyway.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I test drove an acadia with the HIDs and the tahoe without autoride, so I guess it was a matter of options there. Those were both low on the list of importance anyway.

you read that backwards, i said WITH HIDS THIER AWSOME. the halagons are very dim. :cool:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I didn't, I said the headlights on the acadia were better. We test drove one with the HIDs therefore I liked them better.

LOL LOL, im truly laughing like crazy over this. The acadia comes with Halagons standard which suck and are worse than the tahoe, the acadia has a 500 dollar option for HIDS WHICH ARE COMPLETLY AWSOME AND BLOW ANY OTHER HEADLIGHT THAT GM HAS ON THEIR SUVS AWAY. thats where were both getting confused. My mother owns an acadia with HIDS and i can tell you their awsome. but the one we testdrove had halagons which sucked major balls. :crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL LOL, im truly laughing like crazy over this. The acadia comes with Halagons standard which suck and are worse than the tahoe, the acadia has a 500 dollar option for HIDS WHICH ARE COMPLETLY AWSOME AND BLOW ANY OTHER HEADLIGHT THAT GM HAS ON THEIR SUVS AWAY. thats where were both getting confused. My mother owns an acadia with HIDS and i can tell you their awsome. but the one we testdrove had halagons which sucked major balls. :crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

I'm not arguing with you...i'm agreeing...

ChevyGirl

Reaction score
110% WANT.

Besides, 22 mpg on highway and the knowledge that my wife and I are riding in a TRUCK, instead of a tin can, is WORTH the money.

Not enough difference in cost per mile to override the comfort and peace of mind factor.

22 mpg :lol: I would like to see that, I just went on a 600 mile trip, I think I seen about 17mpg...

As for me I couldn't afford a Cadillac, So I settled with a Tahoe....Should of waited a few months instead of purchasing my 08 LTZ in Feb....I see with all the rebates and price drop I could of got an Escalade!!:yesnod:

Oh well, I still love my Hoe!!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
22 mpg :lol: I would like to see that, I just went on a 600 mile trip, I think I seen about 17mpg...

As for me I couldn't afford a Cadillac, So I settled with a Tahoe....Should of waited a few months instead of purchasing my 08 LTZ in Feb....I see with all the rebates and price drop I could of got an Escalade!!:yesnod:

Oh well, I still love my Hoe!!

i thought you had a bunch of posts, now your down to a newbie again. Hmm wonder what happened. all i rember is a beautiful women in front of a beautiful white diamond tahoe. Now that thred is gone. :cryin:

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine to haul around my project mini. Of course I turned around and sold the mini 2 mos after I got the Yukon, so now I just enjoy it.

ChevyGirl

Reaction score
i thought you had a bunch of posts, now your down to a newbie again. Hmm wonder what happened. all i rember is a beautiful women in front of a beautiful white diamond tahoe. Now that thred is gone. :cryin:

I just noticed that!!!!!:mad3:

I guess I should post a new Thread...Newbie