Why get a leveling kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you have to get a leveling kit for a 2002 Tahoe 4x4? Why wouldn't/shouldn't you just run up the adjustment on the stock one? I'm playing around with mine and ran the adjusting bolt all the way in and walla, all leveled out.

I'm thinking it can't be as simple as that there is a reason they have those leveling kits but in my logic they have to do the same thing and just put extra tension on the torsion bar to lift it up. Someone straighten me out.

Chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And another thing. Why do the Tahoes come with the front lower than the back? For towing maybe?

notch8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
correct me if im wrong but the higher you crank the stock torsion keys the higher angle the CV shafts sit. It wears out faster if its at an angle versus straight on and a leveling kit allows it to be level with straight angles.

Chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't see how you can get around the changing of the CV angle with any kind of suspension lift.

m0bmentality

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't see how you can get around the changing of the CV angle with any kind of suspension lift.

I think youre right about torqing it up doing the same as a leveling kit.. But a leveling kit usually puts where you are now.. as the medium angle and allows you to go up higher.. but if you dont need that.. eff it..

as far as the front end lower... part of it is economics.. ride height and roof angle adjust gas mileage... so most vehicles come set in harmony with ride quality, road noise, and gas mileage.

Towing might be a small part of it also .. but even cars come with a front rake to them.