Why...Why...Why... I dont understand!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deputy184

Reaction score
Here's the story. i took a luch break today and drove 1 mile to my friends house with no problem. Break is over so i drive back to work with no problems. I get off work and crank my truck up and there is a miss that wasn't there before. i figure it is my distributor cap again until i look at my temp gauge and it reads 210. by the time i pull to the store it is reading 240. it has not reach the red mark yet. So i checked my coolant and it was low. I just fluchsed and filled it with dex cool 2 days ago. I check my oil and there it is, oil that resembles a chocolate sonics milkshake. Is it my manifold gasket or is it the head gasket? How could it go bad just by sitting? It only has 140,000. it is a police issue tahoe and the chief drove it and he is 78 years old, no lie. he just retired last year. Plase give advice before before i leave it on the railroad tracks!!!!:confused::(

bsamoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the head gasket... Might want to look around junkyards and find another one rather than going new.

79powerwagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the head gasket... Might want to look around junkyards and find another one rather than going new.

Look at the junkyard for what? Buy a gasket kit and repair it. If after that there really is something broken on the engine from the coolant in the oil, THEN look for a replacement engine.

You were low on coolant after flushing probably because you didn't "burp" the engine during the refill. I doubt you ran it hot enough to warp a head, but check the surface for flat before you bolt it back together.

A trick I've learned when filling an empty block is to actually fill the coolant into the heater core using a funnel shoved into the hose, held high above the engine block. This will force more air out of the coolant passages more efficiently than simply filling the radiator. Top off the radiator and the coolant tank, run the engine to temp, shut it off, let it cool off all the way, then re-check your fluid level.

Piece of cake, though still a PITA...

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea it probably got an air pcket in it. just did one to my grand prix the other day and i didnt get all the air out and that thing was close to heating up.. like over 200 on the freeway so i shut it off on the freeway and pulled over and burped her with those little nipples on the top of the return line of the radiator..

replace it, those police trucks are sweet too!!

deputy184

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. My mechanic supposed to pick it up tomorrow. He says that it will cost me about 425 for labor plus parts if it is my head gaskets. i am glad i can get parts for 20% off. But what about the sludge in the engine. I am pretty sure that he knows how to get it out. oil and water mixed isnt a pretty sight. just out of curiousity, how do you get that out? And while I am in there, what else should I change? Oh, and one more thing, I never thought i would be feeling the way a 4 wheel drive looks but yall have some clean a... 4 wheel drives. big ups and keep up the good work on them! P.S. yes I said yall', hell i am from the south. Louisiana up!