Wipers are CRAZY! Intermittent issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smokeater13

Reaction score
Hey,
So I bought my 2nd Tahoe here a little bit ago and it has this weird issue....

Sometimes when I use my windshield wipers, let's say the mist one for one swipe, it'll go nuts and wipe on full speed and not stop for about 15 seconds or more. Also, when I have it set to an intermittent speed it'll wipe 1 1/2 times or so and stop in the middle of the windshield and sooner or later it stops where it should. I should mention this doesn't happen every time, but rather every third time roughly.

Some help would be great!!!!!

1999 Tahoe LT 2dr 4x4

Last edited:

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might help you, and it might not, but thought I'd offer my experiences.
Mine went haywire with no wipers one day up in the mountains 7 years ago in a downpour, Thankfully I had Rain-X on all the glass at the time.

I have a 1997 Tahoe, and I know many years ago, there was a recall on the wipers, and they would repair for free. This Wiper Module going bad was commonly known problem. Anyway, the offer for recall on mine is long long gone, but not sure about your 1999?

Anyway, I did contact Chevy, they told me they would replace the Module Board on the Firewall, take it to the dealer, have it fixed, pay the bill, then send them the bill, a utility bill, and a crapload of other stuff. Sounded like a huge runaround to me, so what I did was this.

Disconnected Battery, took a Torx Screwdriver to the Wiper Module Cover, examined the board and it was loaded with red grease. I examined the board, and the plug, and could see no issues. I removed the excess of grease with a contact cleaner spray, and re-distributed some of the grease to where I figured it was actually needed, on the Wiper Arm Worm Gear that is visible once the board is removed.

There appeared to be what looked like two circular brass, or copper contact wafers also, and these too were loaded with thick grease. I removed most of the grease, only leaving just a light film between them for some lubrication.

Re-installed the module board, and tested, and all worked perfectly again. That was 7 years ago, and they still work flawlessly ever since.

If you should find such will not give you joy, there are many places that sell the module board, versus going to the dealer and getting raked over the coals for the price of one.

This Module would probably be the most likely source of your problems.
Hope this helps, Mark

smokeater13

Reaction score
Thanks Mark, I'll take a look at it tomorrow when I get home. Appreciate the reply, and if it doesn't work at least I know what to get

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This wasn't only a problem with the full size GM Trucks-SUVs, but as I understand it also vehicles like the S-10 Pickup.

Connectors, and plugs breaking. If that's the case, then either break out the soldering iron, shrink tubing, or some crimp lug connectors.
Mark

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have repaired several modules.

Last one I remember I was on a 2hour trip home pulled into a gas station it was raining and the guy in the stall next to me was fiddling with his motor. I offered to fix it if he pulled the screw off the cover and popped the board out, took longer waiting on my soldering station to heat up running off my power inverter than it did to fix his connections on the plug. (now that I think of it, probably was a stupid idea in a gas station at the pumps.)

It is an easy fix, should be several terminals on the plug where the wires go into the circuit board, heat the solder up on the back side, add some extra and bam done.

smokeater13

Reaction score
Great info y'all, thanks a bunch! Should've joined a while ago, haha

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love these forums, now off to fiddle with a Ranger and a Town&Country.... Yea me.... not.

98_2DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The same thing happened to my 2002 trailblazer, did this dismantle, clean re-grease and wipers worked like new... Took about an hour to an hour 1/2 but was well worth the 7-10$ I spent as opposed to the $200 for a new unit. Difficulty level would be 3-4 out of 10 with 10 being take to a shop.. This was on a trailblazer also way more work to remove the wiper motor... About to do this to my 98 Tahoe just as maintenance...

smokeater13

Reaction score
Did want yall said. I cleaned what seemed to be a lot of excess grease off and it looks like there's still enough. Cleaned the electrical contacts and everything seems to be working so far. Thx for the input everybody

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy ya'll,
Well, I have to say, that truly makes me happier than a pig in ****, to find that something I suggested, and recommended worked!

We all often neglect our glass, and wipers.

It's sometimes common, or even sometimes rare (like me here in New Mexico) where we get caught with our pants down in torrential rainstorms while driving.

Have good Blades, and Arms, and definitely use some sort of rain repellant on all glass.

Rain-X is a minimum, use it but re-apply it every month. There's much better coatings out there for glass, that won't cause your wipers to chatter-skip.

Products from people like Carpro USA, Optimum, GTechniq, Aquapel and others, that glass coatings can and will last up to one year or more. Less wear on the glass, wipers, enhances visibility, and safety 10 fold.

Dualstroke

Reaction score
My wife has been bugging me to fix this wiper issue. The wipers seemed to work however they wanted to.They never stopped working but would keep running,1/2 swipes,and even the sprayer stopped working. Just found this thread and after reading it I went outside and pulled the control module. I did not find any bad solder joints but found a lot of grease gunked up and all over everything. I cleaned the grease out and any grease on the board. Used some new grease with a light coating on the copper contact ring on the housing, reinstalled and now I have no intermittent wiper issues or sprayer issues. 20 minute fix. Thanks for the info guys!!!