Wouldn't start, replaced battery, 3 weeks later won't start again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeTN

Reaction score
I've got an '02 Tahoe that wouldn't start one day about a month ago. I jumped it off that one time, and it started fine again for the next few days. About a week later, it wouldn't start again. This time I didn't jump it, just went straight out and got a replacement battery. That was about 3 weeks ago, and it's been fine since then. Driving it this past Saturday and Sunday I noticed that sometimes, at idle, the voltage gauge would be wiggling on 14V (instead of steady like normal) and the PRNDL light was flickering ever so slightly. Now this morning (Monday) I'm at work and the wife says it won't start again. The first time the key was turned the dash lights came on for a split second, but there was no click, motor not turning over, nada. Now, nothing powered works - no lights, seats, anything.

I'm assuming it's a charging system issue and the battery is depleted. My next guess is to yank the alternator off and take it down to Advance Auto to have it tested - is there anything less complicated I should try/check first? Voltage regulator, fuses, relays, etc.? I'm trying to form a plan of attack before I leave work early and start buying parts/disassembling things.

TahoeTN

Reaction score
I just wanted to post a followup for anyone who might find this in the future - turns out it was as simple as me not getting the positive battery cable on as tightly as it should've been, and it wiggled loose during the last drive. I snugged it back down and everything is working like normal.

I like the easy fixes, but I hate that it was my own fault in the first place!