wrong diff fluid...what to do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silky

Reaction score
long story short, after some repairs I needed new diff fluid. I was in the middle of no where and they had no full synthetic 75w90. The best I could find was synthetic-blend 75w90 so I threw it in. So far so good. I got home with no issues, no noises or anything weird happening.

Now that I am home I have purchased some Royal Purple synthetic 75w90. I plan to drain the diff again tonight and refill with the Royal Purple. I will get as much of the synthetic blend out as I can obviously some will stay. Is it ok to mix the synthetic and the synthetic blend?

btw 2003 Tahoe, Z71 with the G80.

Vista Cruiser 69

Reaction score
Hi Silky,
no issues with mixing these fluids, they won't harm each other. They seem same spec (API GL 5 for an axle) and Viscosity is equal. Even if not it was no issue. Just imagine, the blend you had in was a mixture of synthetic and mineral or hydrocracked already, and this blend does not fall to pieces. Simply means different baseoils min/synth do work together. Now if you flush the axle there won't anyway be remarkably resident product. Of course any oil supplier will give you a nice declaimer saying "never mix it, no guarantee blabla". Some say "you should not". Be sure you put the right API GL 5 in - if you had a limited slip axle you need a special product, but sure you are aware. I'm working for a wellknown lubes company since 20 years, (engineering, development) and won't tell you rubbish.

silky

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. I didn't think it would be an issue but figured I would check. I am quite surprised how well the synthetic-blend is working. Everything is nice, smooth and quiet.

I'll try to get as much of the synthetic-blend out as possible. I'll probably just remove the diff cover, jack the front up and let the fluid drain over night.