Tahoe vs. acadia for female driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mad mike421

Reaction score
Hi-

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a 2007 tahoe LS 2 or an acadia from GMC. I'm confused because they are such different types of vehicles. It's going to be my car, but my husband is leaning towards the tahoe. While I'm a decent driver, I'm concerned about the size of the tahoe and things as simple as being able to park it. Wondering if anyone has any comments for me. :eek:

Jordan23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll probably get with the Acadia since your looking at a Tahoe LS. It's lower than the Tahoe and would probably be safer for you.

yukc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI sit in the back seat of the Acadia. That is the reason we didn't buy it. Very uncomfortable. The floor is high, seats low. Bad design. Sit in both and decide which better fits your needs. The open seats tracks annoyed me personally, but i loved the fold flat third row of the Acadia. Both great vehicles.

slowmobile

Reaction score
My wife was only used to driving small cars before we got the Denali. She was scared at first but it took her about a week and now she loves it. She won't even go near the Celica, so that's my commuter car for now. You get used to figuring how big your vehicle is and centering it in lanes. I'm not sure if all Tahoes come with the backup sensors, but it definitely is a must have. If it doesn't come with it, get it aftermarket. It's worth it and even really good drivers have bad days. The power mirrors are really helpful also in parking. If you really like the Acadia, then go with it. I would hate to see someone settle for it if they really wanted the Tahoe. BTW, my wife is only 5'2" and being in a big vehicle gives her a better view of the road. I wonder if GM does the extended test drives so you can try it out... Maybe rent one for a few days and see how you like them. I have nothing against the Acadia, I actually like it; but I definitely would take a Tahoe or Yukon instead.

bparker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, i agree: All women that I have known that started driving Tahoes will not go back to anything else for safety concerns especially with kids.

Plus, I think women just look more sexy in a tahoe- agreed fellas? :D

Jackel

Reaction score
I have a Yukon and my wife has a new Commander. She is 5'2" and the Yukon, to her, is just too big. I think the Commander is too small. I didn't like the Acadia when I drove it for S&G's. But that was because it lacked the juice! They are too different animals that will fit two different niches. Which one is yours? That should be your decision.

BTW most soccer moms in my area drive big SUV's and most of them scare the crap out of me. They think they are in a tank with a false sense of security. Women do look sexy in a Tahoe, just as long as they are paying attention to what the hell they are doing and not running someone off the road!

diehrd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You also have to know this..

The lead engineer for the GM truck line is a woman, many features are designed for women from the running boards,puddle lites, door handles , knobs , as well as much more . The Tahoe is the Soccer mom's choice for transportation in a lot of areas..

So check into the Tahoe it is very woman friendly !

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
You also have to know this..

The lead engineer for the GM truck line is a woman, many features are designed for women from the running boards,puddle lites, door handles , knobs , as well as much more . The Tahoe is the Soccer mom's choice for transportation in a lot of areas..

So check into the Tahoe it is very woman friendly !

Have you noticed the center council will hold a purse?, my wife noticed it, heck my wife helped pick it out.

bmartin

Reaction score
Hi-

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a 2007 tahoe LS 2 or an acadia from GMC. I'm confused because they are such different types of vehicles. It's going to be my car, but my husband is leaning towards the tahoe. While I'm a decent driver, I'm concerned about the size of the tahoe and things as simple as being able to park it. Wondering if anyone has any comments for me. :eek:

I'm having the same problem. Looking to buy something new in a year and can't decide on either one. Both are good looking trucks. Good luck on you choice.:thumbsup:

Andy4639

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife has driven it a little since we got it. She has come to like driving it a lot more than the 93 Surburban we traded for it. I miss the room we had in the Sub. but for the ride it's worth it.
Maybe in a couple of years I'll get a new sub.

kimdvm

Reaction score
comment from a woman: Power and FWD/RWD

The Acadia is a new terrific design. I thought it would be my Denali replacement, because I could get the capacity, enough towing power, less sticker price, and better MPG...

But my husband and I both hate FWD. It is most noticeable when you have to accelerate in a turn, such as having to pull out on a busy road. (The AWD improves somewhat, but you still get sideways pull from the front wheels).

The Yukons or even AWD Denalis are on a RWD platform, which is much better handling. I was also used to the Denali power, so I couldn't stand the time it took for the 6-cylinder Acadia to get the power to pass someone.

However, if you are used to a minivan, the Acadia would be an improvement in driving quality and would save you money over a Tahoe or Yukon. The Acadia also looks like a pretty safe vehicle to me... I tried to convince myself to enjoy it but I just couldn't.