1999 Tahoe fuel pump & gas gauge ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mtndewd

Reaction score
Hey all...

I just just purchased a 99 Tahoe w/ 70,000 miles and have a few questions.

First, the fuel pump makes a whining sound and I was curious if that means it's on the way out or is that common?

I have filled the tank three times and now the gas gauge is stuck just past full. Has anyone had this problem or know how to fix it?

Thanks,
Bret

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
- the fuel pump whining does mean its going bad.. - just depends on how loud it is to how long you have left.. - my first one went out some-where in the late 80,000 to early 95,000 mile range..

the fuel hand being stuck.. thats not good - that could also be fuel pump related.. - the float could be stuck.. might try taping on the tank

Mtndewd

Reaction score
Thanks for the info...
How tough is it to replace the fuel pump?? After the tank is drained and dropped, is it fairly simple process?

truckintube

Reaction score
you have to drop the tank to replace it. I had it done few years back. 400 or so all together.
it's best to have both replaced at same time since it's combo unit.
if you do it in your garage, make sure you it when tank is almost empty.
and after replace the pump, also replace filter as well that's behind the frame infront of tank.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not a hard process, keep in mind ive done it several times.. - there are two bolts holding the tank up.. (the two straps, one bolt on each) - now, first go ahead and go to the bank of the tank on the top of it (above the rear-axle) and un-plug that sensor.. (thats a pricey lil sensor, i've broke one) - ok.. now get the truck up in the rear, put it on jack stands.. - this may be easier for you if you go ahead and take out the rear-driveshaft - unbolt those two strap bolts, (o i hope the tank is almost on E) go ahead and twist the straps over, they will come out all the way.. - now, get under the tank and slide it backwards it will begin to lower - there will be three hoses to disconnect - 1st at the front of the tank there is a plastic line dissconect it, it is fairly simple to disconnect - now the next two.. not so easy - go ahead and unplug the wiring off of the fuel pump - get it out of the way - if you want to on this next step since you are DEF. replacing the unit - go ahead and grab a good set of cutters and cut the plastic nipples off of the old unit in the tank where the fuel lines slide in, cut as far back as possible to make sure to leave some plastic on there.. - You will need a fuel line disconect tool i think the size is 3/8.. once those two lines have been freed up go ahead and slide the tank out.. now come back to the fuel lines w/ the plastic nipples still on them, take the quick disconnect tool and get it in place now you may need a pair of pliars, or a small phillips screwdrive that will fit into the plastic pretty snug.. go-ahead and get those plastic nipples off ok.. - The new pump you buy should come with a brand new wiring harness.. now, you will probably want to suader this on.. but you dont have to.. just make sure you cut the wires off of the old harness pretty far up as to get back into some good wiring.. - and the ground for the pump is bolted onto the frame just a lil ways up just trace the black wire to the bolt - go ahead and take this bolt off, clean the spot where it is grounded too reallllly well (this ground can directly affect your fuel hand readings) While i was under there, i went ahead and ran a bigger ground wire, this is not needed - but not only did i run a new ground, i also ran a thicker (about an 12ga) wire str8 to the ground on the battery to that bolt - not needed.. but.. i had alot of trouble.. once the new wiring is all hooked up, for safety go ahead and wrap it all back up with electrical tape.. and back to the tank, the fuel pump assembly is held in the tank by an O ring that is easily taken off with a hammer and a flat head screw-driver - notice the black plastic locking pin holding this retainer ring in slide it out and hit the ring on the side to knock it off - pull the old pump out.. go ahead and look into the tank if you see trash try to get all of it out - there is a rubber gasket that goes around the fuel pump the new one comes with a new gasket - you can use some petroleum jelly around it for easy of installation put the new rubber gasket in, and slide the fuel pump back in, getting it lined up as to how the old one came out - now this is the fun part, getting that o-ring to seat back down... but dont worry you will get it - installation of tank is reverse of taking it out..

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow. great answer. Im saving this for when I have to replace mine. im at 119K about, I think. Its gotta be coming soon.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first one going out was alot of mine-own fualt.. i used to go off-roading alot.. and the factory pump (tho i didn't know this at the time) the float in the tank is attached to the sending unit with plastic clips.. and you know fuel makes plastic brittle over time.. well out on a trail one night the clip broke and my fuel level was either always half a tank or E... no F, no 1/4 nothing but 1/2 or E... and due to that.. i ran it out of gas atleast 10 times or so.. and that really really weakend the pump.. - well one day i parked it in the drive way... come out side the next morning to crank it and nope.. notta.. no more fuel pump - but i was glad to get rid of the whine, and to have my fuel hand back to normal

Mtndewd

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed post...It doesn't sound too tough and saving a couple of hundred bucks in labor will be worth it.
I heard from one shop that they will only install the factory OEM Chevy fuel pumps. They are twice the cost, but he said in 15 years he has never had one come back. And with the cheaper pumps from Napa, Autozone, etc. he was doing a lot more warranty work.
Any thoughts?

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory OEM pumps will last atleast 80K miles.. to where the autozone etc pumps last around 20-30k

lexr1racer

Reaction score
Sorry to butt in and read your stuff. Mine went out on the way home yesterday. This will be my first install on my own the other 2 were sorta costly. My last one was under warranty somehow so my mechanic gave me an extra pump and wiring harness. So hopefully it won't be too bad. I'm trying to figure out a pump and what to do with at least a half tank of gas !! Probably try and get a hand pump and just pump it in the wife's truck. Thanks for all the information on this I'm trying it today and I'll post back once I get it done , if i don't get mad and burn it !!!!! lol ,wish me luck !

Mtndewd

Reaction score
I ended up getting the OEM fuel pump and filter with a discount through my work for $268.00 and had a guy swap'm out for $170.00. I figured spending the better part of a day doing it was worth the $. I still had about 20 gallons of fuel in the tank, but he said it didn't matter. I did try to siphon out some of the fuel, but there is a screen or ? blocking the way and I was unable to get a hose into the tank. I got the hose in about 18" and that was it...
Good luck brother.

lexr1racer

Reaction score
It's now 6 oclock. I had hell trying to get the tank loose from the under body. Guess it was wedged in because of the weight of the gas.I have 20,s on it so I didn't jack it up.I had 2 small floor jacks to hold it up .But when I finally got the tank to the ground the jacks i had wouldn't raise he truck high enough to get the tank out . I finally found a guy in the neighborhood with a bigger floor jack that raised the truck enough to get the tank out. I then had a little hand pump and a gallon jug to pump out the gas that was in the tank. I filled up my sportbike two other gas cans and my wife's escape that was empty just about a gallin left that i poured in a pan .So ,got the ring thing off and pulled the pump out. Now I guess come's the replacement .I've still not done the electrical plug thing but it look's o.k. Guess I'll change it too while I'm at it since everyone is saying this is what causes them to fail. I would pay that guy that done your's 200.00 right now !!!!lol Too bad your in Colorado !!

lexr1racer

Reaction score
Its not a hard process, keep in mind ive done it several times.. - there are two bolts holding the tank up.. (the two straps, one bolt on each) - now, first go ahead and go to the bank of the tank on the top of it (above the rear-axle) and un-plug that sensor.. (thats a pricey lil sensor, i've broke one) - ok.. now get the truck up in the rear, put it on jack stands.. - this may be easier for you if you go ahead and take out the rear-driveshaft - unbolt those two strap bolts, (o i hope the tank is almost on E) go ahead and twist the straps over, they will come out all the way.. - now, get under the tank and slide it backwards it will begin to lower - there will be three hoses to disconnect - 1st at the front of the tank there is a plastic line dissconect it, it is fairly simple to disconnect - now the next two.. not so easy - go ahead and unplug the wiring off of the fuel pump - get it out of the way - if you want to on this next step since you are DEF. replacing the unit - go ahead and grab a good set of cutters and cut the plastic nipples off of the old unit in the tank where the fuel lines slide in, cut as far back as possible to make sure to leave some plastic on there.. - You will need a fuel line disconect tool i think the size is 3/8.. once those two lines have been freed up go ahead and slide the tank out.. now come back to the fuel lines w/ the plastic nipples still on them, take the quick disconnect tool and get it in place now you may need a pair of pliars, or a small phillips screwdrive that will fit into the plastic pretty snug.. go-ahead and get those plastic nipples off ok.. - The new pump you buy should come with a brand new wiring harness.. now, you will probably want to suader this on.. but you dont have to.. just make sure you cut the wires off of the old harness pretty far up as to get back into some good wiring.. - and the ground for the pump is bolted onto the frame just a lil ways up just trace the black wire to the bolt - go ahead and take this bolt off, clean the spot where it is grounded too reallllly well (this ground can directly affect your fuel hand readings) While i was under there, i went ahead and ran a bigger ground wire, this is not needed - but not only did i run a new ground, i also ran a thicker (about an 12ga) wire str8 to the ground on the battery to that bolt - not needed.. but.. i had alot of trouble.. once the new wiring is all hooked up, for safety go ahead and wrap it all back up with electrical tape.. and back to the tank, the fuel pump assembly is held in the tank by an O ring that is easily taken off with a hammer and a flat head screw-driver - notice the black plastic locking pin holding this retainer ring in slide it out and hit the ring on the side to knock it off - pull the old pump out.. go ahead and look into the tank if you see trash try to get all of it out - there is a rubber gasket that goes around the fuel pump the new one comes with a new gasket - you can use some petroleum jelly around it for easy of installation put the new rubber gasket in, and slide the fuel pump back in, getting it lined up as to how the old one came out - now this is the fun part, getting that o-ring to seat back down... but dont worry you will get it - installation of tank is reverse of taking it out..

Got any picture's or a youtube video? I would pay to see that !!! Thanks for all your help !!!!!!!!

lexr1racer

Reaction score
It's now 2 p.m. Sunday afternoon !! (it's not been straight through ,I have a five year old that has to be taken care of). I thought the tank would go back in easier empty . NOPE ! . Finally got it wedged back in. Tried removing the drive shaft but since I've never really messed with one after taking the bolts out of the rear u-joint and it not moving ,gave up. at this point I'm trying to get the last inside push-in connector to the pump and still have to re-attach the straps. What a wasted weekend !!! Had good weather though so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Mtndewd

Reaction score
Sorry to hear it was a pain in the A! Makes me glad that dropped the coin to have it done.
Are you finished?

lexr1racer

Reaction score
Sorry to hear it was a pain in the A! Makes me glad that dropped the coin to have it done.
Are you finished?

Yep , finally got it . The satisfaction of getting it done just didn't equal the aggravation though. The money i saved will just go toward the ticket I got on the way to work on Monday morning though ( damit ) . So, it is running good now ! lol . At this point I'm wondering what next? In the last month it's been the battery, the starter , the brake pads, and the fuel pump. But hey , I've got a nearly new truck now huh ? lol

rstewart25

Reaction score
Fuel pump replacement

After having my fuel pump replaced 5 times in the last 5 years, I would highly recommend a couple things. First, if you are going to buy a GM pump, get the Goodwrench pump. It has a LIFETIME WARRANTY... parts and labor. I spent the extra money with my first replacement (not by choice)....the rest have been FREE. These pumps should not fail like this, but a key is that debris in the tank should be removed. Many dealers do not do this, and they/you will just keep replacing the pumps. SO the second thing is make sure you clean the tank of debris!