New Tahoe: Front axleshafts don't turn in 2 WD mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Colorado Yeti

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Just bought my first Tahoe. It's a blue / silver 2-door with the Z-71 package and every option you could have possible checked off from the factory . Only 52,000 miles and it is absolutely mint, not a scratch on it. Everything is completely orginal, down to the floor mats. It still has the window sticker.

Here's my question. I just drove this back from Georgia and I have to use 4-wheel drive fairly often where I live. I took it out of 4WD on Thursday and noticed that it still acts like the from axleshafts / CV joints are binding when a turn a tight corner, even in 2WD. Sure enough, when I crawled under it this afternooon to check it out, both front axleshafts do not free-wheel in 2 wheel drive. What gives? Is this normal for this vehicle? Shouldn't the front hubs disengage along with the transfer case?

Keep in mind, this is the first vehicle that I have ever owned with automatic hubs and also the first with an automatic transmission. I really wanted a Tahoe with a NV-4500 5-speed manual but these are obviously incredibly rare and my wife refuses to drive a stick shift. I still absolutely despise automatics!!! Maybe I'll convert it someday to a 5-speed with all factory parts from a pickup. (I have done it before.)

Thanks for helping me out.

- The Yeti

picture.php

Last edited:

Colorado Yeti

Reaction score
Yes. I am a new member. Apparently the moderators have to approve my post before it actually shows up on the forum because it has pictures. Seems like a bizarre rule to me. Have no idea how to insert images. I follow the directions explicitly and still nothing happens. The photos are loaded in my album.

Last edited: