New Tahoe: Front axleshafts don't turn in 2 WD mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Colorado Yeti

Reaction score
Okay...let's try this again.

I just bought a 1999 Z-71 2-door Tahoe. It has 52,00 miles and is completely stock, down to the factory floor mats. It has every possible otion from the factory and still has the factory window sticker from the original ower.

Here is the issue. I have to use 4 wheel drive frequently where I live. I brought the vehicle home from Georgia to Colorado and I'm pretty sure the 4 wheel drive was hardly ever used in it's previous life. I took the vehicle out of 4WD last Thursday after driving home from work and noticed that it felt as though the front axle shafts were binding when the wheel were turned hard, as if it was still in 4WD. I got under the vehicle to check it out today, and sure enough, the front axle shafts do not turn freely when it is 2WD.

Is this normal for this vehicle? Keep in mind that I have never owned a vehicle with automatic hubs before; they have all been manual hubs with manual transmissions. (Don't get me started on how much I absolutely hate automatic transmissions, but I couldn;t find a 2-door Tahoe with a stick shift.) Shouldn't the axleshafts free-wheel in 2WD?

Thanks everyone!!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited by a moderator: