Performance and MPG mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buckwheat01

Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck with CAI, tunners, and catbacks when it comes to MPG and Horse Power, and which brands in the preceding categories have the best bang for the buck?

bparker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For CATs I would suggest Random Technologies

Bang for Buck exhaust would be Flowmaster..

My opinion

ohmslaw

Reaction score
I have to agree with bparker the flows was a nice improvement. I'm in the same market for a CAI and tuner. Thinking of Volant for an aircleaner and Superchips Flashpac but would love to save my money for a magnacharger nothing beats the power from a supercharger!

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have had a k&n fipk on both of my vehicles and will definitely put on on every vehicle i own in the future. got mine for $220 shipped off ebay intalled in 45 minutes. sounds cool and gives noticeable throttle response which will hopefully get better after i complete the airflow with a less restrictive exhaust

STREETutilityVEHICLE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i run flowmaster and k&n filter, i did the filter first and loved it. that love was doubled when i did the 3" 40 series flowmaster. great sound and noticed a big difference in power, especially lower end torque. next is dual high flow cats, headers, and a volant CAI w/ ram air down tube. i think the volant is the best CAI after doing a few months of research. the only exaust i was thinking about besides the flowmaster was Borla, i may be switching the 40 series out for a borla universal 3". anyone running the borla? hope that helps....

TexTahoe

Reaction score
MPG Mods

I've put in a K&N Intake, Stage 2 Jett Superchip, Dynatech SuperMaxx Long Tube heads with High Flow Converters, X-pipe FlowPro muffler, and a Hypertech Low Temp Thermostat. I get about 2 MPG's better on average and a heck of alot more performance. However, I am having trouble with my mass airflow sensor and 02 sensor. Any ideas?

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just added a hypertech module, 8.5mm wires, accel coil, and ac delco rapidfire plugs. in addition to quicker/easier starting, smooth/almost silent idle, i gained horsepower without losing mpg. i probably gained an mpg or 2 actually.

the seat of the pants feel when i floor the truck is night and day before the upgrades. towing my heavy ass wellcraft is almost effortless now. i cruise about 75mph @ 2,000 rpm in 4th gear with no boat. i don't remember for sure but i think that's better than stock. even 1mph better than stock at that rpm would save wicked gas on long trips.

i pulled out of a clay pit the other day going down the highway slinging the mud off my tires at about 30 and floored it. i almost spun out because the tires broke loose so easily. damn i love my hoe!

i'll let u know if the glass packs help any. i am gonna keep my stock cats in place for now. i got 2.5" red hots from flowtech for $21.95 each shipping included off ebay. even if they suck i had to try em out. im sure they will get scrapped for flowmaster 40 series one day...

GTO2050

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the K&N Series 57 (50 state legal) and Magnaflow catback for ease of installation (no cutting). I am pleased with the results, however, I know there is more power but as far as gas mileage goes, I can't keep my foot out of it to find out! Love this truck.

The main issue for me was I did not want droning in the cabin at 50-70MPH. I only hear the Magnaflows when I step on it not at steady cruise. Worthwhile investment. :Chevy:

jj99yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah thats one thing. i dont want it to drownd out the cab. i had a 89 dodge ram with straight pipes from the manifolds back and it was friggin load as hell. you could barely hear you self talk in the cab. i liked it but i dont think i would do it again unless it was a drag car.

ruf455

Reaction score
Got nearly 2mpgs better instantly with at Hypertech. CIA and a direct replacement Magnaflow muffler are next. If I could get it to average 20 at 75mph I will be happy. Close...I get 20 at 73.

jj99yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how much tone would the direct replacement magnaflows give you? and what sieres or what not?

ruf455

Reaction score
Hypertech PP III's go for around 125-200 used. Just make sure the one you get is unlocked, if not, you end up with a useless brick. I found one local for sale and we put the programmer on the truck before I paid him. The HPPIII was a huge change on the driving characteristic of the truck.

Magnaflow part number MPE-13763 ($86.95 @ Summit). I have had Magnaflow mufflers in the past (most recently on my GTO). They are aggressive when you get on it, and quiet when you cruise. It's very quiet in the cab. I am keeping my stock pipe; It's a good size and I am not terribly concerned about an extra 3-5 hp at maximum revolution that a full 3" would gain the truck.