Wheel offset question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

orionkhan

Reaction score
I've done some searching, but haven't come up with definitive answer...

I have a 2007 Yukon XL 2WD with no modifications. I'm looking at some 22x9.5 wheels with +40 offset and 305/45/22 tires. Anybody know if they'll rub on the inside? I've got another wheel option with +30 offset and one with +20, but I'm tryin to keep the tires from sticking out of the fender to much.

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Wade

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll have far fewer problems if stay as close as possible to the stock wheel specs which would be the +30 offset. Also check and be sure the backspacing isn't much more than 6" or the wheel will rub on the brake lines or suspension parts of the front wheels. If it's much less than 6" then the wheel will stick out of the fender well and put undue stress on your suspension.

orionkhan

Reaction score
You'll have far fewer problems if stay as close as possible to the stock wheel specs which would be the +30 offset. Also check and be sure the backspacing isn't much more than 6" or the wheel will rub on the brake lines or suspension parts of the front wheels. If it's much less than 6" then the wheel will stick out of the fender well and put undue stress on your suspension.

Thanks for the reply JD. That's kinda my understanding. Any idea on how much "more than 6" " will cause rubbing?

Using this tire size calculator, http://www.bigcustomwheels.com/info_specs.jsp, a +40 offset (22x9.5+40 - 305/45/22) would have a backspacing of 6.8" versus a +30 (22x9.5+30 - 305/45/22) with a backspacing of 6.4". That's assuming a stock wheel size of 17x7.5+31 with 265/70/17 tires. I've got a feeling that the +30's will fit fine. But adding close to an inch of backspacing with the +40's might start rubbing at full lock. I was curious if anybody has tried the +40 size.

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+40 will rub....get the +30. That is what i went with......305/45/22 with 22x9.5 +30 offset

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really sure just how much more than 6" backspace you can go with. All I can say with absolute certainty is that my wheels are 20x9 with +30 offset and 6 1/8" of backspacing with 275x55xR20 tires and they never ever rub. Alot of wheel websites will tell you right next to the wheel specs which vehicles they will fit. I stressed out over this for a couple of months before I got my wheels and tires so I know what your going through. Good luck man.

orionkhan

Reaction score
Thanks, Azsctaco and JD. I think you just answered my question. It looks like I'll go with the +30. No need to push the limit. And its not like the +40 ones were way nicer. Just a nicer price. But not worth rubbing.

"Alot of wheel websites will tell you right next to the wheel specs which vehicles they will fit. I stressed out over this for a couple of months before I got my wheels and tires so I know what your going through. Good luck man."

That's most of my problem. Some websites say anything from +40 to +12 offsets will fit. Of course, they don't say how well they'll fit. I figure I'd just find out for sure from guys like you that have new wheels already before ordering.

Norris83

Reaction score
+12 to +40 will fit, but for the NNBS Tahoe/Yukons, +30mm will sit flush with ur fenders... I've just bought some 20 XD Hoss rims in a +30mm and they look just right...