01 5.3 won't stay running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Chris, one more question, and I have a feeling I already know the answer....
Does yours have a remote starter?

- DB

mgfan58

Reaction score
Nope. No remote starter on ours. I have changed keys and so far have not had any more no starts. I had one a few days ago and it was with my wife's key. I have not had any with my key and it has not been used near as much.

I still haven't had time to clean the switch properly. Have you had any problems since spraying yours out?

Chris

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It lasted 8 days, started acting up again yesterday. I'm going to switch keys and give that a shot.

I spoke with the dealer this morning and the guy that answered was surprisingly helpful.
I explained the entire situation to him and about everything I had tried and read about.
He asked the right questions, what code does it throw, I said none
He said that more than once he has seen remote starters cause these issues. I told him that I installed this remote starter myself, and I have done well over 200 of them and that it’s been on there for 5 years, without issue.

I’m glad to hear that you do not have one, I know there is nothing wrong with my install but electrical parts do go bad…..

I have 4 more brand new remote starter kits in my garage but it’s about 15 degrees in Omaha right now and I really don’t want to go without or even switch them for that matter.

I’ll give the other key a shot for a while, hopefully that’ll at lease get me by until it get warmer.

mgfan58

Reaction score
If my spare key continues to work with no issues, I'm going to try to order factory cut keys as replacements. Using a used key to cut a replacement doesn't make any sense. Hopefully I can get one cut using my VIN. Stay in touch and let me know what you figure out.

My personal e-mail is [email protected]

Chris

Grebbler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran into this when I put in a remote starter a few weeks ago. It was -10F and I had access to a heated garage for 1 night. My truck has Passlock II and the remote starter needed a Passlock bypass module. Of course it was Sunday and I couldn't get one.

I after much farting around with resisters and relays I wound up just doing a hard bypass at the BCM with a resistor. Fortunately my alarm came with an assortment and I cut the Passlock wires and connected a 3.3k resistor across the leads going to the BCM and it didn't start. A single security re-learn (that 10 minute wait you get when the Passlock module on the ignition acts up) and all has been well since. This method will set a "Wrong Passlock value but valid" code in the computer but it's a non MIL (no light) code and everything works fine.

Do an online search for the alarm wiring instructions for your model and year and it will tell you the wires you need to use if you decide to go this route until you get a new Passlock thingy.

Greb

mgfan58

Reaction score
Grebbler,

Thanks for the information. So far it has not locked me out while using the "spare" key so all is good. If it happens again I will probably replace the passlock if that is even possible. Not exactly sure how it works but I would assume that the portion giving me trouble is in the ignition switch.

This has been quite and experience and it appears that the passlock system is a poor system for long term use. If dirt and lint will stop it then it's doomed. Hopefully the new key will continue to work for me.

Chris

Aquinosteven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would also check you intake. sometimes build up can cause the mass air flow sensor to be off. just take some carb cleaner and clean ur intake assembly. i had this happen to me at 130,000 and i just cleaned my intake. no it runs great.

mgfan58

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply but I'm pretty sure we've located the problem. It's related to the security system and will not let you start the engine for 15 minutes after it fails the first time.

Chris

unlukky

Reaction score
+1 on your key issue. I had a problem like this on my Camaro.

I dont have tahoe keys in front of me right now. Does your Tahoe key have the little diode (protruding small piece of metal) at the base of the shaft of the key itself? Camaro's wore out and was sending wrong value to ignition tumbler, therefore no starty.

mgfan58

Reaction score
No, the Tahoe key uses a proximity switch and senses the distance between the key and sensor.

Chris