01 Tahoe STOCK radio to DNX5120 concerned???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

littleflyer

Reaction score
Hello Guys. First time here and first time poster.
My little lady has a 2001 Tahoe LT. CD player is shot so i got hooked up with a dnx5120 at a great price. Now i am a bit concerned with the install after reading so many posts. I was going to install it myself. I did get the wiring kit aswell but not the onstar adptr. I really dont care about it since we don''t have a subscrip anyways. It''s wrapped and under the tree so i can''t open it up. just looking at the online manuals... Mainly got it for the Nav.

Spec''s
stock system- non Bose.
Onstar.
all speakers replaced with MTX''s. including Sub in rear.
sep. tape deck.

rear head phone jacks-but i dont care if these go inop. not used anyways.
NO- overhead video or sound controls etc...

I am not even sure if this beast has a stock amp.

read lots of places that the speakers won''t play after the install and i must power the amp via the "pink" wire. and to hook up the brake wire to a switch. i am still on the fence about this one may not be wise for those around her..:) i''ll decide at time of install.

is this install really a pain should i have a pro do it???? radio seems simple enough but the Tahoe wiring, onstar, stock amp, sounds a bit tricky if you don''t have detailed wiring dia.
I remember looking back there once and there''s a lot more wires in that plug than this radio needs.
I have found some wiring diag.but they are very basic(the12volt.com).

I am not a complete green horn here. I have hooked up many radios,alarms,amps etc... in the pasted BUT before there was car surround systems with center channels. - sorry old school here.

HELP me out guys

toolmankan

Reaction score
Pink or Orange

I heard the pink wire as well, but my factory amp only came on when I hooked onto the orange wire, not the pink. I guess you can try both?
The job is not that difficult, but for me it was frustrating (as you're now anticipating) to have everything hooked up and no sound. I was following the "pink wire rule" but to no avail. So, hours later after checking everything several times, I tried the orange and it worked.
SO, use a jumper connector. This is the splicer that prevents having to cut the wire, and instead a metal jumper (when squezzed) cuts through the sheathing on both wires to connect them. This will be helpful if one wire doesn't work, you haven't snipped it completely. These connectors are at auto supply houses (and you probably already know which connector I'm talking about anyway.

And I presume at this point you know from the harness out of the radio you use the blue wire (labeled power antenna or remote on) to connect to the pink or orange wire on the second harness.

r.barn

Reaction score
You realize the DNX 5120 is a double DIN radio and
all you have is a 1.5 DIN slot right ???

I'm doing a double DIN conversion on my '02 right now.
Will start a how-to thread

littleflyer

Reaction score
Toolmankan- Thanks, pink or orange got it... yeap am familiar with the jumpers.

r.barn- Well last night i had no clue what a DIN vs 1.5 vs. Double DIN was but now after i don't know how many posts i've read know i have a clue.
So what you are telling is that i am going to have to seriously butcher the dash to get this thing in? I am so looking forward to your how-to-guide...
Because i really "think" i am( i mean SHE) is going to like this radio.

Has anyone else done this kinda conversion and can you please post some pic's????

Last night i was throwing out the trash and took a peak in the hoe. open the glove box and behind it i could see a silver box, in the right hand side, with a plug. Is that the stock amp?

r.barn

Reaction score
Some threads I found, and check the one I posted.

Hack up the original.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/825435/3
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/sho...2000-silverado-1-5-double-din-conversion.html

or use an '03-'07 Bezel
http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19178&highlight=silverado
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v55/rcars2/avic700bt/

Problem with '03-'07 Bezel is it does not line up with a/c controls properly
and drops down enough to cover ashtray and power output bay.

Check out this tech sticky on "How to make factory bezel"
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fabrication/85350-how-make-factory-bezel.html

littleflyer

Reaction score
r.barn - those are some great links... Thanks a bunch. spent all day reading... Some of those are pretty hardcore tho. think above my fabrication skills. I think i'll stick to your method, or something similar. i'll keep checking your posts. Also- the GPS ant. works inside the dash??? interesting ganna have to try that.. thought it would have to be somewhere exposed.

JKmotorsports - do you have some close-ups?? I am trying to see how much i need to cut off?

I did not want to reply on r.barns' thread want to leave that one for his how to giude and not hijack it...

r.barn

Reaction score
worst case scenario you can get those bezels in junkyards
for $25-50. Go get one out of the pick-n-pull to practice on.

01_Tahoe

Reaction score
I dont have this exact stereo but I just tied the parking brake wire in with the ground wire. Works perfect. I also just used the stock remote wire to turn the stock amp on and tied that wire also to run my aftermarket amp. Everything works.

littleflyer

Reaction score
well it's 90% complete

OK guys it's alomost done!!!

I would first like to pass my extreme thanks to all your posts and all the how-to's. I took half the day but it's alomost done.

1) The wiring was very simple just match the colors and your set. I tapped into the "pink" wire on the 2nd harness and everything worked great.
Except for one hicup. The 5120 has two blue remote wires. the true P ant. blue wire goes off if source goes to DVD, Ipod, video, etc...- so it kills the amp. the other P.CONT. (blue/white) does not. so made the switch and bingo. all works, all the time, all the sources.
HURAY,HURAY,HURAY!!!!

followed all the posts on the dissy, bracket mod. and trimming. 1/2in plywood spacers... :thumbsup:

decide to go with JK's, bezel mod. :thumbsup:

WORKED like a charm. I need to give her the final finishing touches on the bezel but everything is on and working.

I COULD NOT HAVE DONE THIS IF IF WASN"T FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS!!!

I took before and after pictures. I don't have the cable for the camera so i'll get them up soon.

THANKS AGAIN,
Jerry

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't get to post the close up shots you asked for earlier. Glad to hear you get it all done though. Don't forget the pics:beerchug: