02 yukon are upgraded brakes a must with 22s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AG1221

Reaction score
putting 22" wheels on my 02 yukon

upgrading brakes a must?

if you have upgraded, what products (brand etc.) did you use and where did you purchase them?

thanks!

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For 22" wheels you don't need to upgrade, you can if you wan to though!
26" wheels is not even a cumpolsary brake upgrade unless you want to too!

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
When I put the 24s on my truck, I couldn't lock up and activate my abs anymore when braking hard. If you can't lock up the wheels hard enough to activate the abs, then your stopping distance is compromised. I added a larger brake kit with larger rotors and calipers from SSBC. They have a 4 and 8 piston system available for our trucks. HUGE difference. I'm able to lock up and activate the abs system and stop in a much shorter distance now. Pedal feel is greatly improved and it doesn't take nearly as much effort to slow the truck.
If your new wheels only weigh a few pounds more than the stock wheels, you should be okay. If they are considerably heavier, you're adding a lot more rotating mass than the stock brake system was designed for. Try a couple panic stops to see if your abs system can still be activated.

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put 22" wheels on my yukon, and you can really tell the difference with braking. Just like JK, my abs does not activate anymore. When i get some extra cash, i will upgrade my brakes with either SSBC or BAER. Also not only the abs does not work, but your brakes require a lot more effort to stop. Driving my truck feels like i have a truck load of people or cargo when there is no one else in the car.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
what if you only went 20"

do you think the ABS will still work?

Depends on how much weight you're adding and the braking traction ability of the tires. Weight can very greatly between wheels due to design and construction. Wheels with less width, less and/or thinner spokes will weigh less. Multi-piece wheels often weigh much less than single-piece cast wheels. You can find 24s that weigh about the same and maybe even less than 20s depending on their construction and design. Also, tire size will make a difference. 305/55/20s for example will weigh more than 285/45/20.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck sucks with aluminum 20x8.5s on 275/55/20 all terrains, I think an upgrade is a good idea for the stock 17's the brakes are so bad on these trucks. I'm buying a powerslot plus kit for my truck (14" rotor that uses the stock caliper) which should help immensely and only costs about $400 or so for the kit plus some good pads. Some stock replacement powerslot rotors and ceramic pads are gonna help the rear quite a bit as well, some stainless braided lines would also help considerably. There is a guy selling brackets to use the C6 corvette z06 calipers along with some 15" rotors for less than the 6+ piston kits
CIMG1667.jpg

CIMG1645.jpg

CIMG1630.jpg

DarkTahoe00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Boost do you have anymore info on those kits you are talking about? Sorry not trying to hijack this thread!