05 5.3 L59 light tap/ticking sound during acceleration on right bank of cylinders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stevenjay

Reaction score
My 05 5.3L L59 has a slight tick noise that comes from the right side that is only heard during acceleration. When idling the noise can't be heard even with my head in the wheel well and the hood popped. I'm leaning twords the pass side exhaust manifold because it sounds a lot like a small exhaust leak and happens during the exhaust stroke. I'm don't thinks its piston slap as its only coming from the right side. Anyone had a similar problem and/or symptoms? No codes being thrown. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks!

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you have it pegged. If you plan to remove the manifold then do yourself a favor and get some PB Blaster penetrating fluid and start spraying on the bolts/nuts now and let them soak and don't forget the collector at the bottom. You will likely still break a stud or two so be ready to deal with that, also.

Stevenjay

Reaction score
Did some further investigating under the hood and there are two exhaust manifold bolts missing. 1 on each side of the engine. The pass. Side bolt closest to the firewall and on drivers side one the bolt furthest from the firewall. I have some bolts on the way. In the service manual it says to clean out the threads first. There not in the easiest place to get to to clean the threads. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It is now throwing a code, but I'm focused on fixing the problem before resetting and getting all wrapped up in why the code was thrown. Gonna fix the missing bolts and go from there. I take it the obd11 system is that sensitive...

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You either have to have a long enough thread tap to reach in and clean the threads or take the manifolds completely off for access.