07 tahoe procharger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tim@sp

Reaction score
Are you saying the warranty isn’t already voided by the installation of the procharger? HAHAHA... that's funny.

Nothing is hacked or cut... So I can take all of it off and they will never know.

I hear your Gripes about the kit, but you are way over thinking it!!! you seem to not like the kit from the start nor the company for that matter. Then go buy another unit so we can all look at that to see how much better it is.

Our Twin Turbo C5 utilizes the SAME STYLE INTERCOOLER SET UP as the tahoe uses. just watch the video if you have doubts it will perform. http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9...-at_193467.htm
I can't find the 9.25 video, but I will keep looking. That is a street driven, Air conditioned 4l60 auto C5 vette. with the IC mounted on the bottom. You can see it dyno here... http://www.fquick.com/videos/James_SP_Built_402TT_Vette/4269

I have Sold/installed over 40 Procharger units at SP... Not one car/truck has come back blown up because of High Intake air temps or anything for that matter. The units work and they are safe for the cars. So if you don't like the company then that's fine bro... But don't tell my customer that His truck is going to go "KABOOM" because of what you say is an "Asinine" Design.

Until I see you have something that's better on you're Tahoe... Then i am going with the ATI procharger

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...But don't tell my customer that His truck is going to go "KABOOM" because of what you say is an "Asinine" Design...

I don't recall anybody saying his truck was going to go "KABOOM". Also, I said that placing an intercooler with the flow of air going across the fins instead of through them is asinine, do you disagree?

Ed Blown Vert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Intercoolers are also set up the same way. Of course going with a FMIC would be the best. But I didn't want to hack up the front.

I like the Procharger kit the best. Having a sealed blower makes for an easy install. And allows for better oil for the blower and not engine oil like a Vortech.

tim@sp

Reaction score
gambler said:
I don't recall anybody saying his truck was going to go "KABOOM". Also, I said that placing an intercooler with the flow of air going across the fins instead of through them is asinine, do you disagree?.

Just seems to be a recipe for detonation. Which on lsx motors = KABOOM.

If the air is Pulled up to the IC using an Deflector such in the way we did it on our TT C5 then it works... We dropped AIT's by 70 degrees as opposed to the old design where it was trying to get forced in in front of the radiator.

If I would have seen abnormal IAT's on the Tahoe i would agree, but i didn't. Would the IC in front of the rad. be better. You bet it would... But would there possibly be a temp issue with the cooling system... Maybe.

On the subject of the air filter more in the stock location... Its not one of my favorite places for it... but then again if I saw an IAT problem, then I would worry... but it don't exist. The System works, Makes good safe Horsepower for a Centrifugal blower.

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you in bed with procharger????

I have a procharger, It has been performing very well on my car for over 50k miles. The stock ati kit was a poor design which they revisited YEARS later.

I just dont understand why they dont learn from their own mistakes. These trucks have room to place piping and what not. Really shouldnt have to "Hack" it up. They just took the easiest way out, which ultimatly results in decreased performance. I dont believe you would argue with me that a Cold Air source would net some gains.

As for the heat issue... What do you think is going to happen when the dead heat of summer is on, and the AC is kickin and god forbid someone may be Towing something... Do you honestly think the underhood temps would NOT have an effect on the trucks performance more-so then if the filter was shoved in the fender? I am sure the programming would take the temps into account and modify the timing and such accordingly to reduce engine issues.

As for my comment about detonation... You should know more then most that just a little detonation on the ls1/2/6 have proven to be catestrophic. Maybe the truck motors are not as sensitive to this... IMHO, this will always be a risk no matter WHAT kit you put on your car. But i dont think that filter location is by any means reducing this potential risk...

Maybe a heat extrator hood should be included with the kit :)

These are all just my opinions. I am by far an expert, but have made modifications to my own kit, and have read/learned alot over the past 5 years around many of the issues that affect these motors, and ways to avoid them. In stock form, as you mentioned, the kit works ok....

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about it appears to work, but there is room for improvement. That's all I'm saying, and I don't think it is unreasonable. In fact to claim there is no room for improvement is naive IMO.

SS#1230

Reaction score
okay, since ive been reading this thread for about an hour, i'll chim in here.

questions first:

was the maf located on the pressure side (obviously not on the suction side)

can we see a pic of air dam that helps air flow through the IC? id like to see it.

so was there any timing being pulled due to knock??? id be surprised if there wasnt any KR running 9psi on 87oct....(yes even with the intercooler. the air-air IC is worthless on a dyno...yes, i know they use fans to simulate road conditions)

comments:

they could have done better with the intake. vortech often uses a "cobra" style pipe to fit intake tubing in tight areas. i think it would have been cool if they would have put the filter in the extra battery area on the drivers side and had a nice little box for it.

they could use more attractive silicone couplers that dont look like huge radiator hoses. but you can replace those on your own.

i do like how procharger includes larger injectors instead of the fmu and inline fuel pump like vortech.

now for the guys talking about the motor going boom.....
a stock motor is not built for the purpose of boost. if you want more HP with a supercharger and you dont want it to blow, then you need to build the motor for boost. lower the comp ratio with some dished forged pistons and then poor the boost to her....

other than that, all you can do is get some methanol/water injection, make sure you have a tune that you're comfortable with and cross your fingers.

just my 2 cents.

oh, and i cannot believe that mustang dynos dont show TQ or AF. thats rediculous!!!

SS#1230

Reaction score
i know i already mentioned this but i wanted to directly comment to hype143.

you may want to look into meth or alky injection to both gain HP and to make it more safe to run boost.

this will further cool your intake charge (it will dramatically drop your intake temps) and the methanol will basically increase the octane.

here are some links for you check out.

http://www.snowperformance.net/index.php

http://www.alkycontrol.com/

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=ATM%2D5778&FROM=MG
i added this one because it is the best way to monitor your air fuel ratio so that you can catch any fuel problems before they cause you huge problems!!!

tim@sp

Reaction score
okay, since ive been reading this thread for about an hour, i'll chim in here.

questions first:

was the maf located on the pressure side (obviously not on the suction side)

can we see a pic of air dam that helps air flow through the IC? id like to see it.

so was there any timing being pulled due to knock??? id be surprised if there wasnt any KR running 9psi on 87oct....(yes even with the intercooler. the air-air IC is worthless on a dyno...yes, i know they use fans to simulate road conditions)

comments:

they could have done better with the intake. vortech often uses a "cobra" style pipe to fit intake tubing in tight areas. i think it would have been cool if they would have put the filter in the extra battery area on the drivers side and had a nice little box for it.

they could use more attractive silicone couplers that dont look like huge radiator hoses. but you can replace those on your own.

i do like how procharger includes larger injectors instead of the fmu and inline fuel pump like vortech.

now for the guys talking about the motor going boom.....
a stock motor is not built for the purpose of boost. if you want more HP with a supercharger and you dont want it to blow, then you need to build the motor for boost. lower the comp ratio with some dished forged pistons and then poor the boost to her....

other than that, all you can do is get some methanol/water injection, make sure you have a tune that you're comfortable with and cross your fingers.

just my 2 cents.

oh, and i cannot believe that mustang dynos dont show TQ or AF. thats rediculous!!!

Mustang dynos do show that... but in an earlier post I did explain that our dyno was in the middle of a 15000 mile tune up and the smart tach was inoperable at the time... I also explained that the only AF log I could have used was from the Tail pipe... Not very accurate.

Timing was adjusted for 93 octane only... we logged knock and it was pretty much flat lined on 93. With the fastchips tune YOU CAN NOT RUN 87!!! Nor should you with a forced induction vehicle of any kind....

SS#1230

Reaction score
Here is a preview of your Blower Whine.

Procharger D1

Its priceless pulling up to a light next to a Mustang and all they hear is Blower Whine. And they know they are going to get spanked. :)

i dont get into to many street races, but every once in a while a randy vette owner feels like "putting an old camaro in its place". i think it's more priceless to get up and walk away from a new vette in a "sleeper" 96 SS camaro with a silent vortech blower....:lol:

then at the next light the vette owner's eyes are wide open and they yell, "holy $hit that thing is fast! what have you done to that thing?!". i usually just smile and tell em that has a muffler on it.....

SS#1230

Reaction score
Mustang dynos do show that... but in an earlier post I did explain that our dyno was in the middle of a 15000 mile tune up and the smart tach was inoperable at the time... I also explained that the only AF log I could have used was from the Tail pipe... Not very accurate.

Timing was adjusted for 93 octane only... we logged knock and it was pretty much flat lined on 93. With the fastchips tune YOU CAN NOT RUN 87!!! Nor should you with a forced induction vehicle of any kind....

sorry, i didnt catch that the dyno was being tuned up. the tailpipe sniffer would be the only way to monitor without having a WB sensor on the vehicle. watching the fuel trim with the NB isnt gonna give much info.

i understand that he needs to run premium fuel. but he did mention in an earlier post that he did have some 87oct in the tank when he dropped off the vehicle to have the blower installed. so, with the blower and a tune for premium fuel, i was expecting there to be some KR due to the 87 being run on the dyno....

chris10an

Reaction score
Procarger inst

Wel first of all i must say that problems may acour when you mount a charger or a turbo. When it comes to the p1-sc or D1-sc charger, it needs a inline fuel pump, that we mount along with the pump in the fueltank..
if you work with ATI producs you know this...
my opinion is that you should be happy for chosing the procharger.
i know it will save you for alot of hazle in the future.

SS#1230

Reaction score
do you mean that you add a inline fuel pump to help the stock intank pump? or did you mean that you install a intank pump and an inline pump?

one 255lph intank pump and 42lb injectors should be able to do the job with that HP level.

vortech just uses an inline pump to help the stock intank pump. im guessing because its easier to throw on an inline pump rather than dropping the fuel tank to put in a intank pump...

chris10an

Reaction score
Hi again. Thats right. we mount a inline pump where the fuelfilter is located. This one must be a higvol pump. it must be added to the fuel pump wiring system, with a relay kit.
couse the original circut board canot handle the amp of two pumps.
I have newer tryed to only change the in-tank pump. i'll see your point, and it should work with a high vol in-tank pump to. It's only a litle more work :)

SS#1230

Reaction score
hey chris10an, do you work for ATI or do you work for Tim@sp?

chris10an

Reaction score
Hi again. Neither of them, I’ll work with GM electric in Europe, Norway. Work specially with truck harness and electro. When it comes to superchargers we have tested many different chargers on trucks, and the Procharger is the one that gives minimum hazel for the customers. When it comes to power from a charger, I have seen big differences. Whipple and magna charger looks cool. It’s awesome to look at, butt to use on a street car/truck, no. as a supply for towing, yes but for that prize… no serious… buy an 8,1L. We all want our trucks to beat the other car/truck, don’t we?
I’ll come out with son pictures soon. I am building a 03/04 Tahoe with an 880hp 7200rpm engine these days with a Procharger p1-sc “modified to 12 psi†It’s a 5, 7 vette blocks with a 90mm fast intake, camaro front accessories. It is a 4x4 truck with electric throttle from a LS2, and you can imagine the job… two weeks “evenings†I have worked to close all DTC, and with that I don’t mean that I have deleted them in EFI Live.

Attachments

• 05112008.jpg
    05112008.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 11

SS#1230

Reaction score
oh wow, i didnt notice that you were located in norway.

that is a cool build your doing. what are the specs on the LS1 shortblock? im assuming it isn't a stock bottom end...

Jeremy

SS#1230

Reaction score
here is a link to vortech's supercharger kit for the 07-08 tahoe for comparison....

http://vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=154

i think that the vortech looks a lot nicer. note that the air filter is in its stock location. and i also see that vortech includes larger fuel injectors in this kit.

also, vortech uses a water to air charge cooler instead of the air to air that procharger uses. i think the air to air is a better choice for street use as well as road racing. it is simple, no water tank, no water pump (better yet, no wiring for the water pump), no water lines and no water cooler. drag racing is the only place where i would choose a water-air cooler over an air-air.

just thought id thow this out for every one to see...

i also wanted to see what Gambler thought of the vortech kit....
Jeremy

Last edited: