10W30 Full Synthetic at 4400 miles??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a 5W30 regular oil change at 1500 miles....I was going to do 5W30 synthetic blend now, but my dealer only carries 10W30 mobil 1 full synthetic...is that OK at 4400 miles or should I stick with 5W30? BTW, I am located in Houston, Texas...it may hit 32 deg F once or twice a year.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont use the 10w30, the 5w30 is recommened by GM for a very good reason.

TN Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont use the 10w30, the 5w30 is recommened by GM for a very good reason.

I agree.. I use Mobil 1 5W30 in my Corvette and you can get that at in auto store. I would find a retailer that sells 5W30 and take it to the dealer to change if your not going to do it yourself.

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks...

That is what I thought...I still find it surprising that the local AD does not carry 5W30....regular or synthetic oil..

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't ever bother with synthetic BLEND oil. Go full synthetic or stick with straight dino oil. Blending the two really doesn't help at all.

TN Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't ever bother with synthetic BLEND oil. Go full synthetic or stick with straight dino oil. Blending the two really doesn't help at all.

I agree. Go Mobil 1 full synthetic. That what GM puts in all the Corvettes out of the factory. :thumbsup:

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mobil 1 or Royal Purple?

Hi guys,
From what I read here most of you seem to like Mobil 1 synthetic. Is there a reason you prefer Mobil over Royal Purple. I've always used Castrol GTX but am going to switch to a synthetic. I just don't know which ones better. I have noticed that Royal Purple doesnt' have the API starburst. Can't figure out why? I hear it's good oil.

TN Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
From what I read here most of you seem to like Mobil 1 synthetic. Is there a reason you prefer Mobil over Royal Purple. I've always used Castrol GTX but am going to switch to a synthetic. I just don't know which ones better. I have noticed that Royal Purple doesnt' have the API starburst. Can't figure out why? I hear it's good oil.

I have read nothing but good things about Royle Purple. As far as Castrol GTX I have never really looked at their synthetic oil. Reason for me sticking with Mobil 1 full synthetic, that's what the General uses from the factory in all Corvettes, both my 1996 and 2004 rolled off the line with Mobil 1. Both have factory labels under the hood stating to use Mobil 1 synthetic. Reviews have alway been very good on Mobil 1 so I just buy enough to do the Corvette and Tahoe.

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok...at 4400 miles the computer says I have 50% oil life left after changing oil at 1500 miles. Now normally, I change oil every 3000-3500 miles, but I only drive about a total of 5-7 miles a day during the week (all city) and maybe 15-20 miles on the weekends...all city driving. Should I change the oil now or wait a little longer?

TN Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok...at 4400 miles the computer says I have 50% oil life left after changing oil at 1500 miles. Now normally, I change oil every 3000-3500 miles, but I only drive about a total of 5-7 miles a day during the week (all city) and maybe 15-20 miles on the weekends...all city driving. Should I change the oil now or wait a little longer?

On my old Tahoe before going to Mobil 1 I would change oil around 3000 miles with Mobil 1 I would change it around 5000 miles. That's just me. New Tahoe has yet to get a oil change, it only has 1800 miles on it and the 2004 Corvette only has 3800 miles on it. So oil changes on it are more on time and not miles :D

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if I am going to change oil...

every 3000 miles for regular oil or 5000 miles on synthetic, what good does the oil life indicator do??

TN Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
every 3000 miles for regular oil or 5000 miles on synthetic, what good does the oil life indicator do??

For me it a reference to use if I was to chose to go longer between oil changes.. I'm more old school and would prefer to change my oil on a set mileage. Nothing wrong with using the oil monitor but that's what YOU have to figure out what you feel comfortable with. For me if my Corvette or Tahoe gets to a point the oil life was 55% and I had 5000 miles on the oil and temps were below freezing or I was having to spend a lot of time at the office I know I can hold off and wait a while until the weather conditions are better or I have more time before changing the oil. I prefer to change my own oil so it comes down to what you prefer to do.

rockrawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to be on the every 3K plan as well but now that I have the Yukon I am going with the oil life monitor and will change when it gets down in the 10 to 5 percent range. The car has a warranty and if that is when GM wants me to change my oil then it is on them not me.

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh..thanks! Yeah, that sounds like a good plan...change regular oil at 50%, but don't you mean change synthetic at 0% or does it count up and not down....I thought when it said 0% that meant you had no oil life and 100% meant you have 100% of oil life left...

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to be on the every 3K plan as well but now that I have the Yukon I am going with the oil life monitor and will change when it gets down in the 10 to 5 percent range. The car has a warranty and if that is when GM wants me to change my oil then it is on them not me.

:iagree: