1500-2500 conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

montezuma

Reaction score
I'm new here, so if this is in the wrong forum please let me know. I'll gladly move it.

I have a 99 Yukon, Auto, 2wd 1500. I have been towing with it, and using it for everyday driving for the last couple of years. Now it is coming time to do the brakes, and a few other items. I was wondering if anyone has ever put in 3/4 ton running gear into their 1500? What all is involved? I'd like to stick with the 350 that's in it, but wouldn't mind a larger tranny (if that's even a choice), a beefier rear axle, etc. I've noticed that the 3/4 ton trucks come with an 8 lug pattern. Are the arms, spindles, etc just a plug and play for the smaller 5 lug stuff I have?? What about brakes?

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you would have to find a 3/4 ton 2wd - but i mean, its mostly if not all of it its bolt on.. larger springs.. etc - bigger spring pack in the back, and a beefier rear-end - and if you did get the larger tranny its a 4l80e you would have to get someone to program the PCM in your truck so it knows that it has a 4l80e in it... i don't know if the dealer can do this or not?? now you can go with all the 3/4 ton stuff in the rear-end really easy.. find a vehicle just like yours 3/4 ton use that drive shaft and everything.. but the rear-end will be an 8lug.. and the front 6.. *if that matters to you - the front suspension, id imagine would be changing the a-arms all the steering gear (tie-rods man bar, etc etc) brakes springs and all that other good stuff

zerominded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that seems like WAY to much work to me. just trade it in and by a 3/4 ton. just my opinion, but if you're going to be putting that much work and money, you'd be better off trading it up to a 3/4. just my opinion

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm new here, so if this is in the wrong forum please let me know. I'll gladly move it.

I have a 99 Yukon, Auto, 2wd 1500. I have been towing with it, and using it for everyday driving for the last couple of years. Now it is coming time to do the brakes, and a few other items. I was wondering if anyone has ever put in 3/4 ton running gear into their 1500? What all is involved? I'd like to stick with the 350 that's in it, but wouldn't mind a larger tranny (if that's even a choice), a beefier rear axle, etc. I've noticed that the 3/4 ton trucks come with an 8 lug pattern. Are the arms, spindles, etc just a plug and play for the smaller 5 lug stuff I have?? What about brakes?

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

How much weight are you towing? How much weight is on the hitch? Mostly highway, or city?

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, I believe trying to buy a 3/4 Tahoe is impossible because they don't make them. You could get a 3/4 ton Suburban, but that's about it as far as I know. But yeah.... it would be a lot of money and work. New rear differential, new axles, new 8-lug wheels, 4l80e transmission; which are expensive unless you find one at a junk yard to pull... but those will most definitely have a 4-wheel-drive transfer case attatched to them making your conversion impossible unless you get a part to allow the transmission to connect to the drive shaft without the transfer case attatched.

It would be pretty unique, though, if you did it.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reality check…….. Just a guess here, but you are probably not pulling more than a 5,000 pound trailer. Tongue weight is probably not over 300 pounds. All of your half ton components are plenty heavy enough except for the transmission. The 4L60e is the weak link.

Swapping a 4L80e is fairly simple. The bolt holes are already in the frame, or at least there are in a 1995. The cross member gets slid back to the aft position. You use the same mount. There are plenty of 4L80e used tranny’s around. Most transmission shops can round up the few different parts needed other than the trans itself. You need a different dip stick tube and stick.

While you are at it, do yourself a favor and buy a “good†torque converter that will multiply the torque. That will eliminate the need for souping up your engine. You might as well utilize some of that technology derived from going to the moon and back on the lowest bid.

You will need to shorten you drive shaft and change to the heavier u-joint. Everything else on your ½ ton truck is just fine. The limiting factor on most of these vehicles is tire capacity.