1997 tahoe abs brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trogg

Reaction score
97 Tahoe abs brakes slow or fast speed occasionally pedal pulse.Installed new rotors,bled all the brakes,still have the problem.Anyone run across this problem,thanks.

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
replace the abs module...trust me. you can clean all the sensors, put all new parts untill your face turns blue....then just replace the abs module and poof your done.

gman1001

Reaction score
I have the same problem, and in my opinion a big safety problem. My dealer told me the hub sensors are shot and replacing them is expensive, close to 1k per side. There is a TSB out there detailing that they can be cleaned... Doesn't work...

I've simply pulled the fuse to ABS, sure I'd rather have ABS functionality, however standard brakes that work properly without the scarey ABS pedal flutter at low parking lot speeds are much safer...

Bigwaukegan, is the ABS module the unit next to the master cylinder under the hood? That can't be an inexpensive part!

bobjoker

Reaction score
i was having the same problem, with the abs kicking on at low speeds..come to find out i had to replace my left wheel hub assembly, bcuz the bearing was going bad..and with the bearing going bad it was changing the clearance between the speed sensor and the tone ring..the way i discovered it was, if you take everything off the wheel(tire,brake,etc) and just turn the hub, and at certain points it was getting snug, then as i turned it more it free up..hope this lil test helps

41racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cleaning the crap off of the sensor does work, I've fixed many trucks by cleaning the sensor. It's worth a shot due to the fact that it won't cost you anything to clean them yourself.

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im headed to one of the local chevy dealers today to see if these wops will fix this problem. its a known tsb...low speed abs activation.

its worth a shot. my buddy brought in his ****ty 92 blazer and they fixed all kind of ****. well see ill keep you boys posted:au:

NOFORDS

Reaction score
Just remove the ABS all together. Get some line and brake fittings and toss out the module/pump. GM has some serious issues with their ABS modules. I personally detest ABS with the utmost passion so I feel that this is your best/cheapest option.

In the 97-03 Grand Prix community, many remove the modules as they are really expensive and are hit and miss for reliability even when new.

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not sure thats the best option. i like abs when working properly.

41racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest problem by far with abs systems is the wheel speed sensors. I haven's run into too many module problems although there have been a few. If you live in a snowy climate you would really appreciate abs. It can really save your @ss. There is no one that can argue that non abs will stop you faster and safer than abs.

NOFORDS

Reaction score
I will argue that point.

Actually, your comment is technically incorrect. ABS actually increases your stopping distance by 15-20% than a non-ABS vehicle. It's a known fact that drivers put too much faith in ABS and believe in this common misconception. Being a professional driver, I will take a non-abs car over an equipped one any day of the week and twice on sundays.

Safer? perhaps not. Keep in mind that ABS was specifically designed to combat the human reaction to a panic situation...freezing. A properly trained driver can react to a high stress situation is a controlled manner and ABS actually creates a conflict in footwork in this type of driver. ABS will resist pumping by the driver and actually increase the stopping distance even further. Now a panic stricken driver will benefit from ABS because their brain can't function and the brakes can pump for them helping them maintain control.

No one should ever rely on ABS to aid them in a evasive action maneuver.

Not sure where you come from but I live in a 6mos of snow climate. I grew up on non-ABS vehicles and find ABS to be a problem, not an aid.

That is the end of my ABS rant!! :zav: :crazy:

Last edited:

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just because you like/use abs doesnt mean your brain isnt functioning. thats silly but i like abs because it helps with stopping distance.

NOFORDS

Reaction score
The info in my last post had no bearing on whether I liked it or not. I explained why ABS was designed and pointed out a common misconception about it which you just posted again.

The brain, in high stress or panic has a problem controlling motor skills and thought processes. This is not news. Neither is ABS lengthening your stopping distance.

Irregardless if I like it or not...both of the above are true.

loulblades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed the EBCM and replaced it with an adjustable proportioning valve. Gave me a nice place to put an electrical distribution panel.