1999 Chevy Tahoe 5.7 Stalls at Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ol' Man Winner

Reaction score
:help: Alright Guys (and Gals), please bare with me. I'm new to the forum and have noticed several other threads addressing a similar issue. I'm a novice when it comes to working on my truck (I rely on YouTube). I own a 1999 Chevy Tahoe LT, 5.7. Most recently, after the engine is warm, it will stall when idling in the driveway, stall when idling at a stop sign and will stall when pulling away from a stop sign or red light. When it does stall it is as though I turned the key back to the first position. It doesn't sputter or surge and electrical seems to be continuous. The fuel pump can still be heard for a brief moment after it stalls, similar to when you simply turn the key to off and walk away from the vehicle. When driving, it runs strong, no issue when on the highway and when up to speed but when I stop and the engine idles, it has a tendency to stall, not every time but it can be frequent. Once the engine has stalled, I can just about immediately start it back up but at times I do need to crank it a couple times to get it to turn over. I do know that I will eventually need to replace the fuel pump as it is a bit loud but I don't believe it is the problem right now as I can hear the pump after the engine stalls. In addition, there is no MIL light warning and when I hook up my basic Actron Pocket Scanner (yes it has limits), no issues listed.

I recently replaced the ignition coil and it's wiring harness about a month ago, removed cleaned and reinstalled the throttle body yesterday after a few stalling issues, the rear O2 sensors were replaced a couple months ago, belt and spark plugs (basic tune up) three months ago, Sea Foam through the intake, etc. It is a used vehicle and it looks like the distributor had relatively recently been replaced

I continuously see references to the Crank Shaft Position sensor and Mass Air Flow sensor, battery cable, Fuel Pump, etc. and see a lot of Tahoe owners getting nickled and dimed replacing unneeded parts up until they find the solution. Trying to avoid that. I'm starting from the least expensive, cleaning the throttle body with a $1.90 can of carb cleaner, and moving up hoping that I will find a solution before I get to the fuel pump.

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated. Particularly the most likely problem to the least.

Thanks in advance!