1999 Chevy Tahoe not starting passlock/starter/battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farynhite

Reaction score
Greetings folks,

I have a 1999 Chevy Tahoe which was working perfectly for the 2 years I've had it until suddenly several months ago, it wouldn't start at all, just a loud click as if it were dead, but the battery was still working. I was stranded, had it towed, and fully charged it at home with a pack. It started up just fine after that (having completely disconnected the battery). A week later the same thing happen so I found a lot of issues regarding the passlock, so went through those steps to bypass it, and it didn't seem exactly to be what the issue was, but would start eventually sometimes an hour after fussing, even the next day at times. This has been going on for months until finally last week in our driveway it just did the click, all power working, but no crank and no turnover. For days we've attempted various passlock bypass solutions, even buying and installing a new ignition switch, but alas, the same click and whirring sound no matter what we do. We hooked our battery pack directly to the vehicle so we know it's not the battery as the same symptom occurred. Is it the starter? And is that the norm for a starter to gradually waste away until it works not at all? I'd like some advice before spending the money on a new starter if that is in fact the glaring problem. Thanks guys!

G4200K

Reaction score
When the passlock is activated the security light will turn on and the truck will start for about 5 seconds and shut off as the truck thinks its being stolen mine did this after a dead battery and never did it again all that has happened after is the bright orange SECURITY light is on so your problem sounds like something else.