1999 Tahoe Cutoff and pipe sizes.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MiamiJack

Reaction score
I have a 1999 four door, four wheel drive tahoe. I was looking at buying a QTP electric cutout, but me being the noob I am, have no idea what size to get. I'm pretty sure it's 3inches, but I could be wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed you have picked the "cheapest" electric cutout available. I have had experience with all of them and I can tell you, if you want a trouble free cutout, you have chosen the wrong one.

The first QTP I purchased did not last a full 24 hours. The little gears that reduce the speed of the motor to the valve speed, ate each other.

The next best cutout on the list is the DMH. They worked out great for about a year, then the aluminum frame began to crack. Then it's down hill from there.

The best cutout I have run across so far is the Mooneyes brand. I believe they took over the sales of "Doug's Headers" and along with it the cutout. It is VERY serious. Of course there is a price difference. You also have to buy them in pairs. I would be willing to buy one of yours if you don't need to have a pair.

http://quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/ < QTP Link

www.dmhperformance.com/ < DMH Link

And of course the king of the cutout hill

http://www.mooneyesusa.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=188_46

The other thing you want to do, no matter who's cutout you use, keep it as far away from the engine as possible to keep it cooler. It's the heat that is so hard on them.

Also, you want to put a small light bulb in series with the power supply to let you know when the valve is all the way closed or open.

I have been using a automotive tungsten halogen bulb, that is about 30 watts or so. If you get that far, let me know and I can look it up. What happens is when the valve hits the stops the lamp will light up so you know when to let up on the power. It also softens hits on the stops which are only aluminum in the case of the QTP and DMH. The Mooneyes is all stainless but it is still nice to know when it is at the end of the travel. :)

I found a better picture of the Mooneyes cutout than you will find on their web site. This uses a linear gear action that slides the stainless plate in and out. When open, it has no obstuctions. I use flanges on both sides of mine, so I can take them out for the winter.

Attachments

• Extra Disc 1 085.jpg
    Extra Disc 1 085.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Del, whats the cycle time on the cutout, generally? How long does it take to fully open, and then close?
And aside from making things brutally loud for a few moments, what is the advantage if this setup?

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Del, whats the cycle time on the cutout, generally? How long does it take to fully open, and then close?
And aside from making things brutally loud for a few moments, what is the advantage if this setup?

The cycle time is about 10 seconds. As far as the advantage, in my case the power goes up by 40 horsepower.

The sound level on turbo's is much lower than normally asperated. The sharp popping sound is missing, because the turbo eats it, or I should say, the turbo obstructs that crackling sound from coming through the exhaust. :cool2:

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
holy crap, man. That IS cool.

40hp.

I cant even think ALL my mods together made +40hp. Id be lucky if it was +15