2000 chevy tahoe wont stop bouncing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000chevytahoe

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum and new to Tahoe's so here is my question.Can anyone tell me whats going on with my suspension?My truck is a 2000 chevy tahoe. It wont stop bouncing and it looks like the boomerang shaped piece on picture #1 wont let the shocks do their job's because every time i hit a bump the boomerang looking piece swivels instead of the shocks actually functioning. Can i take off the boomerang looking piece and connect the shock to the main axle itself? I'd appreciate any help that i can get.Thanks guys

Attachments

• CIMG0001.jpg
    CIMG0001.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 15
  • CIMG0002.jpg
    CIMG0002.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 14
  • CIMG0003.jpg
    CIMG0003.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 14

tonymac617

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After doing some research, What you have there are shock extenders. They are usually used when the ride height has been changed (Higher) Not sure if thats the cause of the excessive bounce. You might benefit getting a free estimate at a suspension place to find out why your Tahoe bounces so much and go from there.

2000chevytahoe

Reaction score
After doing some research, What you have there are shock extenders. They are usually used when the ride height has been changed (Higher) Not sure if thats the cause of the excessive bounce. You might benefit getting a free estimate at a suspension place to find out why your Tahoe bounces so much and go from there.

Thanks for the insight.I wonder if the shocks will be to long to fit without the extenders.nice looking out tonymac617:waytogo:

clkelley

Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood.

Just fyi for future reference, posting one thread about an issue will work. Posting threads throughout other sections of the forum pointing members to the original thread just keeps people jumping around all over the place causing a delay in the response time to your thread with the problem.

My bet on your issue is that the shocks themselves are busted causing the excess bouncing.

gibsonsynthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far I second clkelley, but I do have a quick question. Is there anything that you have noticed that causes the bouncing to start? Bumps or just on flat road it bounces too? I had a problem with my inner tie rods that caused my truck to bounce/vibrate vigorously every few minutes.

I would definitely take the truck in and get a free estimate as to what needs to be done (even if you have to pay someone to tell you want needs to be done, you can still save money replacing the parts yourself after you get the estimate). Good luck with your truck.

2000chevytahoe

Reaction score
So far I second clkelley, but I do have a quick question. Is there anything that you have noticed that causes the bouncing to start? Bumps or just on flat road it bounces too? I had a problem with my inner tie rods that caused my truck to bounce/vibrate vigorously every few minutes.

I would definitely take the truck in and get a free estimate as to what needs to be done (even if you have to pay someone to tell you want needs to be done, you can still save money replacing the parts yourself after you get the estimate). Good luck with your truck.

It usually starts when I hit a bump then slowly bounces itself steady till another bump in the road comes up.It coast's on a flat road.

gibsonsynthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely the shocks! Well, now we are back to where you started, except I am going to be asking you the question about those shock extenders. Do you want to keep them? If you take it to a dealership they are going to want to remove the extenders and put the stock shocks on, or you could find someone who will replace the ones with some similar ones to what you have now. I am not sure as to what the price differences will be, but if you are just driving on the road I think it's a personal opinion as to if the looks of the larger shocks are worth the pretty penny. Whatever you chose, I'd love to see some pics of the truck whenever you get it all fixed up!

clkelley

Reaction score
Those shock extenders could be lose as well. But it sounds lke the shocks are busted. If you like you can give me the model numbers off the shocks and I'll see what you are looking at spending on them.

2000chevytahoe

Reaction score
Definitely the shocks! Well, now we are back to where you started, except I am going to be asking you the question about those shock extenders. Do you want to keep them? If you take it to a dealership they are going to want to remove the extenders and put the stock shocks on, or you could find someone who will replace the ones with some similar ones to what you have now. I am not sure as to what the price differences will be, but if you are just driving on the road I think it's a personal opinion as to if the looks of the larger shocks are worth the pretty penny. Whatever you chose, I'd love to see some pics of the truck whenever you get it all fixed up!

Well if i buy new shocks that will fit without the extenders, THEY ARE GONE.I don't have a need for them seeing that I do not want to raise the height of the truck right? I'm going for a Steve Meade body look, not exactly like his though. personally I think I can make a Tahoe look a little better for the money spent but that's my opinion. I'm in no way hating on his ride.Nonetheless that's what I'm aiming for as a point of reference.With that being said what kind of shocks should i get seeing that i want to go that way with my Tahoe?

clkelley

Reaction score
You should be able to order/purchase stock replacements and get rid of the extenders. I dn't understand why someone put those on there without other suspension upgrades. Also, imho the best money spent on replacement shocks for a non air ride truck is Bilsteins.

Well if i buy new shocks that will fit without the extenders, THEY ARE GONE.I don't have a need for them seeing that I do not want to raise the height of the truck right? I'm going for a Steve Meade body look, not exactly like his though. personally I think I can make a Tahoe look a little better for the money spent but that's my opinion. I'm in no way hating on his ride.Nonetheless that's what I'm aiming for as a point of reference.With that being said what kind of shocks should i get seeing that i want to go that way with my Tahoe?

2000chevytahoe

Reaction score
Those shock extenders could be lose as well. But it sounds lke the shocks are busted. If you like you can give me the model numbers off the shocks and I'll see what you are looking at spending on them.

Sure thing I really appreciate the help.Ill get the model number later on today but I have one question.How are the shock extenders supposed to function, Are they supposed to swivel or stay tightened with no movement?

clkelley

Reaction score
I won't need the model numbers if you are getting rid of the extenders. The extenders shouldn't move at all, they are just for running larger/longer than stock shocks...t

2000chevytahoe

Reaction score
You should be able to order/purchase stock replacements and get rid of the extenders. I dn't understand why someone put those on there without other suspension upgrades. Also, imho the best money spent on replacement shocks for a non air ride truck is Bilsteins.

That was a fast response time!I was still writing as you posted. I was told the owner before me was trying to get it as low as possible with ''24's without airbags but that's a he say she say thing.He really did a bang up job!! Absolutely no talent or taste in style for fixing up a Tahoe. I will post pics of other work he tried to do on it and you will see what I'm talking about.I fixed a lot of the stuff he messed up but there is still a lot of work that needs to be done.Bilsteins huh why did i expect that.Ha Ha Ive seen a lot of people put Bilsteins on their Tahoe on this forum so i kind of expected that they would be the best.To tell you the truth I plan on having an air ride suspension put in later on down the road.Till then bilsteins it is.

Last edited:

clkelley

Reaction score
Yeah, all you need is stock replacement shocks and remove the extenders and you should be good to go.

I look forward to seeing those pics indeed...lol

tonymac617

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Steve Meade.....is he deaf yet from that bad A** system hes got? I knew of him back on the Rockford Fosgate Forum oh about 12 or so years ago. lol

Im still learning about the Tahoe myself and recently got a FSM manual so I hope to be of better help on the forum as I learn more.
:happy160:

2000chevytahoe

Reaction score
Steve Meade.....is he deaf yet from that bad A** system hes got? I knew of him back on the Rockford Fosgate Forum oh about 12 or so years ago. lol

Im still learning about the Tahoe myself and recently got a FSM manual so I hope to be of better help on the forum as I learn more.
:happy160:

Ha ha if he isn't deaf he should be on Stan lee's superhuman!!!! Well everyone starts somewhere, in a year we should all be experts.:happy160:

clkelley

Reaction score
Can you get me pictures on above the axles from the front so I can see the springs, etc. I am working through this for you but I need to try to get an better idea of what was done to the truck.

Thanks