2000 Tahoe electrical problems...please help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ziebert

Reaction score
Ok Well I Have No Tac, Speedometer, Temp. Guage, Gas Guage, Gear Position Lighting, And The Auto Trans Has Stopped Working. All Went Out At The Same Time. All Fuses Have Been Checked Multiple Times And I Can't Find Anything That Would Cause This. Am I Missing Something Simple Here? please Help With Any Ideas...Thanks!

samotahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
scan for communication with the body control module. and if everything is ok, I would say it might be the tcm or something along that line, these trucks in this particular year have an issue with the guage cluster. and the trans might be a separate problem.

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check ignition fuse 0 on the driver side of the dash panel or did you only check the fuses in the under the hood fuse block

Ziebert

Reaction score
Tcm?? The Transmission Still Shifts Fine Manually, Just Seems Like An Electrical Problem To The Auto Shift.

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transmission control module... only check fuse and or power at ignition 0 fuse in the left side dash panel the cluster and the power to the transmission shift solenoids are on the same circuit...

Ziebert

Reaction score
Ok So I Have No Power At The Ign. 0 Fuse. Is This A Bad Selenoid?

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No not a solenoid more than likely a bad ignition switch.. not the cylinder where you put the key in.. you need to remove the steering wheel cover bowls and on the right side of the steering column right below the ignition cylinder where you put the key in theres a little rectangular black box with a electrical connector plugged into it... thats the switch you really need to be careful and pay close attention when removing and installing it

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 4 circuits in that ignition switch that power up other fuses to still allow it to start and one of those circuits power up the ignition 0 fuse when working as per intent

Ziebert

Reaction score
Ok I Will Try This. Most Likely A Dealer Part As Well? Thanks

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope just look at the position of ignition switch gear set on how it comes out and thats how you want to install the new one youll see what im talking about when you get the old one out

Ziebert

Reaction score
Well I Changed The Whole Steering Column And It Seems To Have Worked..Thanks. Anyone Know How To Reset The Security System?

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean you changed out the whole steering column what happen with the ignition switch ? As for the security system is it not starting and the lockIicon on the cluster flashing or staying illuminated... if so the way to reset is step 1.. turn the key as if your going to start it all they way to the crank position then just release it leaving the ignition in the run/on position monitor the lock icon on the cluster it should turn off after about 10 minutes once it turns off turn the ignition off do not remove the key from ignition wait 3seconds and repeat step 1 two more times for a total of 3 times after the third time wait 30 seconds and turn ignition to start/crank it should fire right up

Ziebert

Reaction score
It Starts Ok..Security In The Message Center Stays Alluminated.