2001 Tahoe LT Solution to ABS & Brake Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Superintendent

Reaction score
I have been having a problem with the ABS light and the Brake light coming on every time I hit a bump. I was also having a problem with the low speed turn while braking with the ABS pushing back on the brake pedal. I removed and cleaned both wheel speed sensors and after 50 miles neither of the problems have come back.
I tried several months ago to remove the EBCM to resolder the 6 locations, but the screws were impossible to remove due to location thet I gave up. Good thing I did. I was even considering cutting a hole in the drivers floor to get to the EBCM.
Rich in NY

littleflyer

Reaction score
ABS and Brake light

The short answer is that most Tahoe’s (99-03?) will develop this issue over time and it’s the EBCM computer gone bad. This only pertains if the ABS+BRAKE light turn on together. You have 2 options: (1) buy an OH’d computer so the when you remove yours you can install the replacement, or (2) remove yours, secure/protect the area for dirt, water etc… and send yours for repair. Although option 1 is more expensive, I prefer it because you do it once and you’re done. Here’s the history behind my ABS+BRAKE light problem. My Tahoe developed the issue and over time it would happen more and more often. At first I would simply turn off the truck and restart and the lights would stay off. After a while nothing seemed to work and the lights would simply come on around 15 minutes after operation (about the same time the brake system does its checks).
After reading many forums and performing all sorts of tests like:
- Cleaning wheel sensors
- Changing wheel sensors
- Flushing brake system
- Cleaning electrical terminals @ the EBCM
- Cleaning/ changing main fuse.

I finally gave up and broke down and changed the unit. I am happy to report that after 3 months and about 2K miles (NC vacation road trip) all is well and no more lights.

The unit removal is a bit of a tricky if you don’t want to disconnect the brake lines, but if you strip the left rear torx bolt it becomes a bitch(not impossible) but a bitch quickly.

1) Remove all the electrical plugs, even the ones in the far back.
2) Remove the entire assembly from the mount.
3) Remove the mount.
4) With the unit freely hanging from the lines you should be able to twist it -GENTLY- just enough to get the rear left torx out.

The rear left torx is tricky because the EBCM frame gets in the way and doesn’t allow the torx bit to sit square on the screw head. So use a thin bit and mirrors to better you odds.

GOOD LUCK!

Superintendent

Reaction score
ABA and Brake Light

littleflyer
Just to keep you informed, yesterday I decided to remove my ABS module. I had to remove the drivers seat and cut a hole in the floor to get to the brake lines to remove the pump mechanism. I tried drilling the screws out without success until I had the unit on the bench. This morning I sent the ABS module out to Module Masters in Idaho. I figured while the seat was out I would reupholster it from The Seat Shop.
Do you have any experience with either Module Masters or The Seat Shop?
Thanks for the input.
Rich in NY (where the salt and sand are rampant in the winter).

littleflyer

Reaction score
Module master

Module master yes. Thats where i got my module from. Very professional group and good quality work.

BigWheelinBubba

Reaction score
littleflyer
Just to keep you informed, yesterday I decided to remove my ABS module. I had to remove the drivers seat and cut a hole in the floor to get to the brake lines to remove the pump mechanism. I tried drilling the screws out without success until I had the unit on the bench. This morning I sent the ABS module out to Module Masters in Idaho. I figured while the seat was out I would reupholster it from The Seat Shop.
Do you have any experience with either Module Masters or The Seat Shop?
Thanks for the input.
Rich in NY (where the salt and sand are rampant in the winter).
Wow I just cannot fathom cutting a hole in my floor. That's a lot of work to repair the right way. :welcome:

littleflyer

Reaction score
me neither!! I live is FL. so salt spread on the roads during winters is not a big problem here. I know up north that can reek havoc on undercarriage parts. My bolt actually stripped, but with a small pair of visegrips and A LOT and i man A LOT of patience and time it will come off. If i would have done the steps i explain above prior to attempting to remove it, it would have saved me a lot of time and frustration. The extra time it takes to disassemble is so well worth the effort.