2001 Tahoe starting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

itcantbestephen

Reaction score
My mom has a 2001 Tahoe with about 90k miles on it (more than my 93 :D). It hardly ever starts on the first try, almost always takes two. If you hold the key and let just let it crank on the first try it will start, but it takes a few seconds (I'd say about 5-ish). If you give it a short first crank (just a second or two) it starts up immediately on the second try. It's been like that for quite a while, and it doesn't seem to have gotten any worse. Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

FergHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would do the seafoam treatment and change the plugs. i have new plugs and wires and it starts the first bump over it gets.

chrias

Reaction score
Check the fuel pressure. It's either the fuel pressure regulator or the fuel pump.

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it usually helps for the fuel to build pressure before you start. just put the key in the ignition for a couple of seconds then crank it. there should be no major problem with your engine that it should take 2 cranks. may want to swap plugs and seafoam would help

thearch

Reaction score
This may not be the issue but I had the problem of a loose battery cable. If you have a short or lose of power to the computer it doesnt turn over correctly. If it is this issue you may feel a slight mis fire of the engine as well.