2001 Transmission Filter change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

karageorge2

Reaction score
OK I give up. Whats the trick?

Drained fluid. Removed pan bolts. Go to remove pan GHEEZ!!!!

So why does the pan not come out easy. WHAT BOZO CLOWN designed this ordeal.

So do I need to drop the exhaust partially or do I remove the cable bracket. If the cable bracket needs removing does anyone know what type of bolts are involved? (hard to see without a lift). There appears to be either two hex or torx bolts holding the cable bracket.

If someone can confirm this or any other info on this I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Last edited:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Shift linkage is in the way. You'll have to remove the two torx head bolts from the top side of the bracket, then move the linkage and pan will come straight out.

karageorge2

Reaction score
jk thanks

they r torx 40. one of the two is a pita to get off, no room/leverage. what I did was get one off then pulled(turned) the bracket which loosened the other one.

Thanks for the info-great help.......gotta be careful not to strip the heads which can very easily happen due to lack of room especially if u dont have a lift.

Do you recommend ATF from the dealer or is any decent one good (such as Castrol)?

dbdolan

Reaction score
I did the same thing, I could not get the pan to drop because of the linkage bracket. I did not have the torx size needed so I took a big arse screwdriver and wedged it in between the bracket and the pan and forced the bracket out about half an inch and the pan dropped. After the filter change I put the pan back and was able to bend the bracket back to the original position. I sure did alot of cussing on this supposedly easy job.:cuss: I measured all of the fluid that came out and replaced it with advance auto parts brand ATF, I think I put about 5 1/2 quarts in her.

00TahoeJay

Reaction score
trans pan

YES!! what is with the design of the trans pan??!!

I spent a half hour trying to figure it out. My usually trusty repair manual said to "remove the two bolts" holding the linkage in place. Well they are all the way up top and the book doesnt say what size or type of bolt they are.

after a lot of cussing and frustration, i checked the forum and was glad to see I'm not a complete idiot...at least everyone else is in the same boat.

I ended up using the pry bar approach and bending the thing out of the way. It worked ok, but be certain to bend it back all the way. The first time I didnt and my truck would not shift out of Park! Had to go back and bend it a bit further and now she shifts fine.

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone go through the entire process to swap out the filter and fluid?

Any gaskets? Pan bolts size?

Autozone claims 10 3/10 Quarts of ATF. Any preferred brands for this?