2001 yukon xl temp control problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maldonw

Reaction score
hey guys my brothers got a 2001 yukon xl my problem is the front ac control the air bloes hot no matter where i put the temp knob . the rear ac works perfect . so im figuring the ac itsefl is fine . from my own knownledge and from what i have read it can be the actuator the ontrols the hot and cold door .does that seem correct ? my other question is where is this actuator so i can check it? i bought the haynes auto repair manual and it doesnt show where it is . and lastly if there is something else i can check please let me know .i would like to do all i can before i resort to going to the dealer . thank you :hlp:

jpmaniac87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is the blend door actuator located under the dash on the passenger side... i'll get a link to some pictures
And you'll probly have to hit up the stealership, i think it was a $50 part

jpmaniac87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
getimage.php

you can check out rockauto.com. but make sure you get the right pin configuration! I got the wrong one at first from auto zone, then had to go to the stealership and empty my wallet... good luck!

maldonw

Reaction score
thanks found it but thats not the problem because when i took it off i manually moved the door and i get heat from one end and just warm air from the ac side:mad2: now something i noticed is the compressor is cycling on and off at about 30 second intervals .im told that usually means it may be low on coolant and have to recharge the ac . strange thing is the rear ac has cool air coming out and the front ac doesnt .so what do you guys think ? since its not the actuator what else could it be

nephite1978

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im told that usually means it may be low on coolant and have to recharge the ac . strange thing is the rear ac has cool air coming out and the front ac doesnt .so what do you guys think ? since its not the actuator what else could it be

Aren't there separate AC Compressors for the front & back?

u2nv

Reaction score
my 01 yukon doesnt always blow cold either but mine is intermitent. I can drive it turn it to hot n it blows hot continue to drive and switch to cold and nothing. shut truck off for a few and restart blows cold i think my problem is actuator or mode control panel on dash but havent had time to test yet. have you checked cabin air filters to be plugged. my moms car didnt have one and plugged ac evaporator and had to replace once done i custom built filter housing so i can swap filter in 30 min vs replace evap core 4 hrs plus evac n charge ac. u have no problem with ac itself its something with frnt controler or air box not switching you may have pulled wrong actuator to test as well there are several under there.

maldonw

Reaction score
my 01 yukon doesnt always blow cold either but mine is intermitent. I can drive it turn it to hot n it blows hot continue to drive and switch to cold and nothing. shut truck off for a few and restart blows cold i think my problem is actuator or mode control panel on dash but havent had time to test yet. have you checked cabin air filters to be plugged. my moms car didnt have one and plugged ac evaporator and had to replace once done i custom built filter housing so i can swap filter in 30 min vs replace evap core 4 hrs plus evac n charge ac. u have no problem with ac itself its something with frnt controler or air box not switching you may have pulled wrong actuator to test as well there are several under there.
thanks for the info as far as the actuator i did pull the right one because i was able to go from hot to cold (or warm at the time) by hand. i do have that problem sometimes where i go to hot and have to shut off the truck to get it to go back to cold so i may replace the actuator anyway. but the problem ended up being low on freon because i bought a recharge kit to check the level of freon in it and it was low so i charged it and now im all good .funny thing was that was the rear was cold so it never occured to me that it would just be low on coolant . thanks for the help guys