2002 Tahoe Braking Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bald Jerry

Reaction score
Anyone have a braking problem on a 2002 Tahoe that the brakes seem to go into the ABS mode at slow speed at a stop on dry pavement? I have a couple Tahoe's and the 2002 started having this braking problem and the brakes wore out and had them replaced. I get this pulsation in the pedal when it is pressed (sometimes) and it feels like the ABS is kicking in, but I am on dry pavement. Mechanic hooked it up to the computer and no codes were tripped directing him to the problem. He had another Tahoe in as it was at the dealer for 2 days with the same problem and they could not figure it out. It does not do it all the time, just from time to time and always does it once or twice on a 20 minute drive. Best way I can explain it is it feels like the ABS are activating and the pedal gets that pulsation in it. Anyone else have this problem and know how to correct it? Message me or reply to the post as this has my mechanic baffled as two tahoes have had it and mine has 30,000 on it and the other one he got in had 11,000 and the dealer could not figure it out.... Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Check the wheel speed sensors. There is a TSB about the sensors corroding, causing ABS activation at low speeds, even in high traction conditions.

Bald Jerry

Reaction score
2002 Braking Problem

I am going to pull them off today and see if that works... I will get back to you with the results... I really appreciate you taking the time to steer me into the right direction...

shadow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JK identified a common problem with the sensors. Oftentimes, they just need to be cleaned well, and put back together.

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had the same problem, its all under recall on the ABS. you said your chevy dealer didnt know what it was....? its under recall, i have 110,000 miles and it was free for me.

Bald Jerry

Reaction score
2002 Braking Problem

I really appreciate all the advise on this as from what everyone has said and directing me to the recall. That is exactly what it is doing at low speeds on dry pavement it feels like the ABS are activating and at times not sure if I am going to stop fast enough.

I called the number on the TSB today and boy do they talk in circles about it. I was told to take it to the dealer as that it could be something else that is wrong. Everyone here knows the problem as you have had it, but they still talk in circles trying to get out of it. The mechanic I go to even said he had a customer that had his Tahoe at the dealer for 2 days and they said all was normal and it still does it. He actually called him today as I sent him the website link to give to him for the TSB so he has some ammunition to complain when he goes back in as they did nothing for him.

I can take it to the dealer no problem, but how hard are these sensors to take out and clean yourself? I would say I am pretty mechanically inclined as I do my own brakes, alternators, starters, and once pulled a motor and re-installed a new one.

I know the sensors must be by the calipers, but ABS is something I never tackled and any info as it is about 20 degrees out here and it would help me out taking some guess work out of what to take off and how to get at them.. Really appreciate that if anyone can give me a quick walk through on finding them and just get me started...

Thanks,

Marty

shadow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Merlin -

Found the recall number - RECALL 05068

Did a Google on it, and it took me here - http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/p...ype=QuickSearch&rcl_ID=05V379000&summary=true

Here's what I found -

Recalls - Search Results
Navigate: ODI Home » Recalls » Search » Results List

Search Results
Report Date : February 28, 2008 at 09:45 AM
NHTSA Campaign ID number : 05V379000

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
CHEVROLET / AVALANCHE 2002

CHEVROLET / SILVERADO 1999-2002

CHEVROLET / SUBURBAN 2000-2002

CHEVROLET / TAHOE 2000-2002

GMC / SIERRA 1999-2002

GMC / YUKON 2000-2002

GMC / YUKON XL 2000-2002

Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Mfr's Report Date : AUG 29, 2005
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 05V379000 PE05020
NHTSA Action Number: PE05020

Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 1353718
Summary:
CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE UNWANTED ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) ACTIVATION. THIS CONDITION IS MORE LIKELY TO OCCUR IN ENVIRONMENTALLY CORROSIVE AREAS. THIS RECALL WILL BE LAUNCHED IN THE "SALT BELT" STATES OF CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, WEST VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ONLY.
Consequence:
THIS CAN CAUSE INCREASED STOPPING DISTANCES DURING LOW-SPEED BRAKE APPLICATIONS, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS ARE TO REMOVE THE WHEEL SPEED SENSOR AND THOROUGHLY CLEAN THE WHEEL SPEED SENSOR MOUNTING SURFACE ON THE BEARING, APPLY RUST INHIBITOR TO THE CLEANED SURFACE, GREASE THE MOUNTING SURFACE, REINSTALL THE WHEEL SPEED SENSOR, AND CHECK THE PEAK-TO-PEAK OUTPUT VOLTAGE TO ENSURE THE WHEEL SPEED SIGNAL IS WITHIN SPECIFICATIONS. THE RECALL BEGAN SEPTEMBER 22, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438 OR GMC AT 1-866-996-9463.
Notes:
GM RECALL NO. 05068. GM REVISED THE INVOLVED VEHICLES BY AMENDING THE ORIGINAL 573 REPORT ON OCTOBER 4, 2005. GM REVISED THE ORIGINAL 573 REPORT ON DECEMBER 16, 2005, TO INCLUDE ADDITIONAL STATES AND VEHICLE POPULATION. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

I think if you print out the NHTSA page with this info on it, and take it to the dealer and shove it up their you know what, they might have to pay attention to you.

Tell them your lawyer would like to ask them some questions about it!

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the thing though, you dont need to do it yourself since it is under recall and will be completly free... I would just take it to the dealer and say its under recall. they cant argue.