2004 Tahoe fuel filter location??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xdannyxrocksx

Reaction score
does anybody know where the fuel filter on my tahoe could be cannot find it..im starting to think that its in the actually fuel pump...any ideas??

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anybody know where the fuel filter on my tahoe could be cannot find it..im starting to think that its in the actually fuel pump...any ideas??

if your hoe is the 5.3 Non flex fuel then its in the gas tank ..you dont replace it.
It's supposed to last the life of the tahoe...

if your hoe is the 5.3 flex then the fuel filter is located on the under carriage of the frame

Z71Heat

Reaction score
No way the fuel filter is a "LIFE" FILTER, thats a good laugh.

The filter is located on the DRIVERS SIDE, along the middle of the chassis. EASY TO GET TO. SOAK THE THREADS WITH PB BLASTER (A FORM OF WD-40, BUT BETTER) AND BE CAREFUL NOT TO BEND THE LINES.

All fuel filters need to be replaced, some vehicles have more than 1 filter, some have them built into the pump. NOT THE TAHOE. 1 filter, external. Replace every 15,000 miles. YOU WONT HAVE AND INJECTOR PROBLEMS IF YOU RUN 91 OR 93 OCTANE, CHANGE FUEL FILTERS AS STATED ABOVE AND THROW A BOTTLE OF TECHRON FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER INTO THE TANK EVERY 2K.

ayeplussjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the 05's and above had the non-replaceable fuel filters...I guess I'm wrong.

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way the fuel filter is a "LIFE" FILTER, thats a good laugh.

The filter is located on the DRIVERS SIDE, along the middle of the chassis. EASY TO GET TO. SOAK THE THREADS WITH PB BLASTER (A FORM OF WD-40, BUT BETTER) AND BE CAREFUL NOT TO BEND THE LINES.

All fuel filters need to be replaced, some vehicles have more than 1 filter, some have them built into the pump. NOT THE TAHOE. 1 filter, external. Replace every 15,000 miles. YOU WONT HAVE AND INJECTOR PROBLEMS IF YOU RUN 91 OR 93 OCTANE, CHANGE FUEL FILTERS AS STATED ABOVE AND THROW A BOTTLE OF TECHRON FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER INTO THE TANK EVERY 2K.

It appears that Z71Heat has the 5.3 Flex fuel tahoe so the instructions that were posted last night were correct
BUT what Z71Heat has failed to realize that there are just more than one model of the tahoe.
So here is the Info on the Non flex fuel tahoe

This was taken from the GM volume 2 2004 service manual :

FUEL FILTER

The fuel filter is contained in the fuel sender assembly inside the fuel tank. the paper filter element of the fuel filter traps particles in the fuel that may damage the fuel injection system. The fuel filter housing is made to withstand maximum fuel system pressure, exposure to fuel additives, and changes in temperature. There is no service interval for fuel filter replacement.

IMPORTANT: This vehicle has a lifetime fuel filter built into the fuel sender inside the tank and thus is not serviceable separately. The fuel filter is not a replaceable part.

Z71Heat

Reaction score
It appears that Z71Heat has the 5.3 Flex fuel tahoe so the instructions that were posted last night were correct
BUT what Z71Heat has failed to realize that there are just more than one model of the tahoe.
So here is the Info on the Non flex fuel tahoe

This was taken from the GM volume 2 2004 service manual :

FUEL FILTER

The fuel filter is contained in the fuel sender assembly inside the fuel tank. the paper filter element of the fuel filter traps particles in the fuel that may damage the fuel injection system. The fuel filter housing is made to withstand maximum fuel system pressure, exposure to fuel additives, and changes in temperature. There is no service interval for fuel filter replacement.

IMPORTANT: This vehicle has a lifetime fuel filter built into the fuel sender inside the tank and thus is not serviceable separately. The fuel filter is not a replaceable part.

I have a 2000 Z71 5.3, IF this is true about the 04 models and up, I would be suprised and appalled at the same time.
Think about it, why would chevy put the filter INSIDE THE TANK? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ANYONE NEED A NEW FUEL FILTER? THE PRICE JUST WENT FROM 15 BUCKS TO $1500.00 BUCKS!!!! wow. I cant believe that. I will have to see that with my own eyes.

That is the NON-FLEX FUEL Tahoe?

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 Z71 5.3, IF this is true about the 04 models and up, I would be suprised and appalled at the same time.
Think about it, why would chevy put the filter INSIDE THE TANK? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ANYONE NEED A NEW FUEL FILTER? THE PRICE JUST WENT FROM 15 BUCKS TO $1500.00 BUCKS!!!! wow. I cant believe that. I will have to see that with my own eyes.

That is the NON-FLEX FUEL Tahoe?

yes... scary stuff but true

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a second note the gas tank is real easy to get to anymore though. Its prolly not bad. Its right there. I was amazed at how accessible it is.

I thought I was gonna have to drop my tank to bolt my box down in the back. I looked under there and its not even in the way SWEET!

You'd save the money for a mechanic to do it anyway....lol

sixty9fordkiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know for a fact that 05s and up are in the tank with the pump and are not "serviceable" not sure about 04's