2004 tahoe- service ride control- rear susp.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VirginiaInRaleigh

Reaction score
Before I posted this I did a good amount of research looking at other threads.
A few weeks ago the 'service ride control' came on in my tahoe. damn. everything seemed fine. After a little research I learned that this was most likely the auto-level air ride rear suspension. IE expensive.

The compressor no longer turns on when I hook up my trailer to the car. BUT the car also does not drop really low when I am towing either- stays up high where is should be. And this is a heavy load (horse+trailer= 4 to 5,000 lbs). Nor does it sag when not pulling a load. everything seems normal.

I read somewhere that it could be a fuse issue?
Seems as if their is a leak in the suspension part the compressor will keep running and running and burn out. so then you have to replace both. I don't remember hearing the compressor run continuously.

Any ideas. I need to take it in the shop to be inspected anyway, I'm just procrastinating. I can do some stuff on my own, but I'm not sure if I'm up for this task if it turns out to be a big replacement. Good thing I just got my xmas bonus....ha great way to spend it.

VirginiaInRaleigh

Reaction score
Ok update, I took it to the dealer and it will be $800! for them to JUST replace the compressor. And they won't be able to check for leaks until after that.
I'm thinking I can probably replace the compressor myself (to the time of a part for about $200) and if I hear the compressor running non stop trying to fill up the sir shock, then I'll take it over and have them do that.
From what I have read, just the compressor portion doesn't seem like a huge deal- a few bolts to take off and then inside my warm house I can fiddle with putting the new compressor on.
I'm by no means a mechanic, but as long as I have instructions, I seem to do OK. And if it doesn't involve jacking my car up, well then even better.

scorpio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue for a couple years now but been driving like that lol. Let us know how it goes please and good luck

VirginiaInRaleigh

Reaction score
Ok new update! Ordered the compressor from Arnott. Seems like a piece of cake...
But no, it never is, good thing I'm stubborn.
This afternoon's task was to simply remove the part from the car- tomrrow was reserved for re-wiring etc. 3 bolts, should be easy. And 2 of the bolts are easy, right there easy to get to.
But the 3rd bolt must be accessed from a small hole with an extended socket. Pretty sure it's 13mm, as the others were. I spent about an hour fiddling around with the darn thing, including trying to remove the spare tire for easier access. Ended up not being successful, arg.
Tomorrow I am going to see if a shop can get it off for me. Unless anyone has any other ideas! But darn the engineer who though this was in some capacity a reasonable design.
And the adventure continues!

VirginiaInRaleigh

Reaction score
update

new update. Finally got the compressor off the car, successfully (I think) spliced the wires and transferred that over.
The arnott compressor also came with a dryer re-build kit, which is basically new desiccant. Is it necessary to do that or can I just put the old one back on? I ask because I don't have the tools required to open up the dryer cylinder (need a table vice and large pipe wrench/monkey wrench etc.) Input? Thanks
I just want to get it back in the car!

VirginiaInRaleigh

Reaction score
Ok my final update on this!
As I noted before, a fella helped me nock the dang thing off. Now I realize it would have been much easier to get off if I had known how it was actually attached. The 3 bolts went into larger key-hole type holes, then slid down into a narrow groove to stay secure. They are not just simple bolts through holes as I thought.

I hooked up the wired first to test it out, rested it on a bucked while I sat on the bumper. The motor started right away until the shocks were inflated. yay! then I re-bolted it onto the car- I broke/lost some of the bolts in the process so I just replaced them with normal bolts. And best part?!? The dang message is gone!!